I Forge Iron

Old World Blacksmith Anvils

Kerby

It would depend on what anvils were available at the auctions, the condition, and the price. There are several new anvils available at that weight and price range.

Depending on what you are going to do, you may want to look at anvils in the 130 to 150 pound weight range.  The price difference is a one time expense for an anvil that is half again heavier.

Have you used TPAAAT ?

That isn't quite true Ben, flat horns are highly desirable for a number of processes, look at double horned anvils. Much of the work on a horn for say truing up rings or turning coils is done from under the horn, not over the top. Trying to turn rings or coils over the top means you're working the far  underside of the horn so it's out of sight. Coming up from the underside puts it coming at you in plain sight. I don't use the horn very often except as a bottom fuller so this anvil is off my desirable list but only for that reason. Were I working it I'd use a bottom fuller in the hardy hole or take a disk grinder to the horn and dress it too my liking. 

I'm not saying this is a good or bad shape for a horn, I'm only trying to point out the flaw in your logic Ben. NOT calling you out on a matter of taste either, we have different styles at the anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Glenn, this isn’t the Old World Anvils you are probably thinking of, these are on EBay and Amazon for about $280, plus $80 shipping.

To the OP, I doubt it’s forged as claimed but cast, they are made in China based on visual clues matching the Cougar brand sold.

Its a crap shoot, I’ve owned 3 Chinese anvils and they were well hardened steel not cast iron, faces ground well, two had the horns finish ground,  one didn’t (just like the one shown is left “as cast”). The castings can be very variable as well (one had a hardy hole that was not square and full of flash), and so can the heat treating. Two I had were identical models bought at same time 25 years ago, one was about 50RC, the other must have been close to 60RC. The little 66lb Italian pattern I bought off EBay a few months ago is very hard, rebounds a bearing 15” from 16” drop, I’m very happy with it.

You can get a good one, or...... Not. Without a name brand to bank on, nor a real storefront, you MIGHT get stuck with something that’s not what you expected.

The original manufacturer price is a good starting point. If someone has the same anvil for sale at a reduced price, you pocket the savings, all things being equal. The price gets adjusted to account for wear, tear, and abuse. 

$360 for 100 pounds of anvil is still $3.80 per pound delivered. 

Don’t get me wrong Frosty, I’d really like to have a double horn anvil but given the choice of ONLY having a flat horn I’d have to keep hunting. I use my horn a lot though. Sure, most of the things I use it for could be done on a hardy but not all and I’d have to be more careful. From hanging out with farriers I’ve learned how to use the horn way more effectively and more often.