I Forge Iron

A cool souvenir

When I was walking past the train tracks the other day, I found this laying on the ground. I thought it was kinda cool, so I picked it up. (This was ~20 feet from the tracks, I don’t think it’s important) I was just wondering why the workers might have taken this sliver of rail off? Whatever the reason, it definitely makes a cool trinket, and it’ll be on my workshop wall quite soon.

155ACCA7-D08F-43E4-AC54-1B858ED7F45A.jpeg

Some of the earliest rail - from Trevithicks Pennydaren Locomotive hauling slate in Wales in 1803 was like angle iron - the wheels were smooth and the rail had the flange!  There is a model of the locomotive in the Science Museum in London, and they have a full scale replica in Cardiff at the National Museum of Wales.  Really neat looking locomotive.

Did you visit Watt's workshop at the Science Museum in London?  Greatly depressed me as he revolutionized the world in a workshop less well equipped than the one I mess around in. I Like it there is still several hundred items in it that the Museum says they don't know what are...

I was just wondering why the workers might have taken this sliver of rail off?

It was most likely trimmed off a new section of rail being inserted into the existing track, ... or off an existing section, that needed to be "shortened"  in order to "set the gauge" of a curve in the track.

Nobody else mentioned this, and it may be a moot point, but it's my understanding that the RR owns everything within a certain distance around the tracks.  I'd be surprised if anyone hassled you about that though, and if they did, I bet you could hand it back with a sneer and say something like, "Fine, you can have this piece of junk back" then and they'd let you go.

as always

peace and love

billyO

• 2 years later...

We went to a hammer-in up in Missouri a couple of years ago and one of the members had thin slivers of RR track just like that one that he had used a power hack saw to cut off the main rail. They were sold out in several minutes. One came home with us and resides out in the shop.