I Forge Iron

Show me your stock holders or third hands

Glenn

Sorry - no photo shop - yes heated and hot punched in one taping to the foot - got a cramp in my leg by the time they took the picture, - definitely not a recommended procedure - just a doable possibility if needed - I did hot punch the hole 3/4's thru the first side though, during that picture. Oh and I noticed I do have an IFI shirt on.

Jeremy, has now taken the space of the first image that comes to mind anytime I will ever be ask about 3erd hands. Well done sir!! I'm not as limber, talented, or any other descriptive phrase you want to insert, as he is. Having said that, here are the 2 that get the most use in my shop. Note that the stool has interchangeable "yokes" for holding  long stock on edge for cutting in saw.  Still laughing  Al

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for the laugh Jeremy, I needed one. I was going to commend you on a helper you couldn't trip over but realized how wrong I would've been. Are you wearing a left sneaker on that foot? Can't use that helper without two left feet. Oh thank you thank you, I needed a good straight line to get my head space onto the funny side, I didn't sleep much last night.

In that situation I use my crotch.

DANG!!:angry: Stupid Micro$oft (up?:wacko:)dated itself and reorganized my files AGAIN! ARGHHH! I can't find a pic of my helpers. 

I have a few telescoping stands with dumpster salvaged box conveyor rollers and Ts I mounted on some old highway sign wind master stands a couple folding stands and a couple I made for heavy work. They telescope from about 18" to bench and drill press table heights. The worst thing is I have so many they're trip hazards. Of course that  sort of describes the floor in my shop if you get off cleared paths and work spaces.

Frosty The Lucky.

here's mine. All hand forged/traditional joinery. I have found I need a 3/8"x2" or so ring underneath the legs for more weight and to keep them from bending out of plane.

The movable shaft was forged down with my tenoning tool(basically a top and bottom spring fuller) to about a 6" length, then filed a bit to fit the opening. Then I forge welded on a piece of round stock to get my final length.

It is a roller type. I believe I used 3/4" pipe with a piece of 5/8" solid round inside. You can see the two tenons ready to be peened.

I have 3 of them. One for long iron at the forge, and one on each side of my anvil, 25# lil giant, or post vice.

The legs were fun. 2 pieces of 3/8"x2". One edge bent to a "vee", the other forge welded to it with a "tee" weld.  Its hard to see, but rhe leg ends were folded back and forgewelded to create the raised feet.

The frame piece was made from 1/4"x1". I used a "cleft weld" to the shaft, then twisted and forged the frame so the flats are as you see.

A little file work amd it created a nice transition/detail from vertical to horizontal.

The bottom boss was from 1-1/4" solid square with a 5/8" top tenon forge welded into the pipe and a 3/8" tenon on the bottom to attach the legs.

Playing in the fire is fun,, 

stand1small.jpeg

2017-08-14 08.58.58_32.JPG

2017-08-14 08.58.58_35.JPG

2017-08-14 08.58.58_34.JPG

The one on my portable forge is light but works well for what I normally do.  Diamond holes on the frame, front and back stop twisting and allow for the 3/8" stock bar to be slid in and out as needed. The dogs slide as well so they can be stowed for travel. the whole rod stows in the leg.  

20180421_073719.jpg

For the propane forge, just a swing up bar attached to the cart. No picture of the stand for the coal forge, made out of exhaust pipe one piece slides into the other with a wing bolt to lock it at different heights and a roller at the top, like the one Das posted (can also be used with the propane forge for very long stock).

100_1851.thumb.JPG.5b4c35eb1b2b6324cc553ab27312f2a3.JPG

Very basic: a pipe welded vertically to a wheel rim and drilled and tapped for a big shopmade thumbscrew, a vertical inner piece with a crossbar welded on. The only details of interest are a welded-in V-block for round stock* and a ring to anchor one of my motorcycle-chain-and-bell-clapper holddowns. 

4D0C0796-4E6C-4D21-9A58-D4F389A106A5.jpeg

AA8107EB-CEF9-45E1-B865-8F7EC439D036.jpeg

*per the recommendation of jlpservicesinc.

The second propane forge building class I went to at SOFA (over 15 years ago now); the forge shells were made from Oxy welding tanks.

When I got home I welded a piece of sq tubing to it and slid a slightly smaller piece of sq stock in it.  It's small enough that it "locks" when canted and slides easily when slightly rotated. I actually did this on both sides of the forge so I can have a third hand for both the front and back simultaneously---picture of the back because that's what was easiest to get to

ThirdHand.jpg.34af4f00184c8776daf9b987e4c105a7.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...