I Forge Iron

Finished my 25 ton C frame build

78sharpshooter

On 9/24/2018 at 3:17 PM, Frosty said:

You designed and built this?

Yes, I designed and built this. I hired mechanical engineers to take my designs and model them and run FEA with adaptive mesh refinement so I could modify and further refine the design before actually building it. I designed the controller, modes, features, and hired a electrical engineer to do the hardware and coding. I knew the controller would be the perfect opportunity to make a mode that might help persons with physical challenges enjoy blacksmithing; the bite switch mode is so incredibly intuitive and very accurate and all you need to do is hold your tongs and bite the switch. 

SWEET! Watching the video I got the feeling it was designed by one person who did the work, understood the what and how of it and brought it to life. Bite switch, great idea, I never thought of it and it's almost obvious. I can see it now, keeping the power hammer/forge press controller in a jar of sterile solution.

Everybody gets their own rubber bite cover. Hmmmmm, Vanilla, coconut, maybe berry. Cajun for the boys in the Bayou and Jalapeno for Thomas P.

I'm dying for a little alone time with one. Expect a call if Deb and I get to S Cal. again while I can still play with fire. 

Can you tell us the price without getting you in trouble with site rules?

Frosty The Lucky.

58 minutes ago, Lou L said:

Wow, those modes are brilliant.  I desire this.  It’s seems the website doesn’t exist yet...

Sorry, the crainpress.com domain takes 48 hours to be transferred so it should be live by the end of the day tomorrow. The website has more details of the press and controller that I think most will find interesting. I appreciate any feedback on the website content.

19 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

Is this something that will be available to the public or is this a one off? With such a robust design, would you be able to pack more tonnage into the same frame?

Yes, I will be completing 3 presses and putting them on the website and emailing the list of people who want to know when they are available. The tonnage may be upped a bit but the working pressure limit of the cylinder is 3000 psi which would put the tonnage around 30, but the engineering specs are at 25 tons with a FOS @ ~2.18

51 minutes ago, c.baum said:

I'm really sorry to ask such a simple question ... but ... what does "bite switch" mean? 

http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000115/L1331/CONCEPTUS-BITE-SWITCH-2-5MM-PLUG

this is the one I am using but I have some designs of my own that will have a greater operating life using FDA approved flexible filament 3D printed design

• 2 weeks later...

sometimes it's quite easier than you can think :D i thought "bite switch" is an operational mode ... now i know it's just a switch you use by biting on it. Thanks!!!

EDIT: can you make some more videos of it? i love how the hot steel looks like some kind of candy being chewed. It looks so delicious and hypnotizing ... 

Edited by c.baum

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...