I Forge Iron

Very new to this...

Hello all, I’ve been wanting to build my own forge for about 5 years now and finally moved to some property where it’s not forbidden. So I bought an ASO and grabbed some Bricks and started trying my hand at this fine art.  So far I started small with a few knives. Here is a mini cleaver I made to practice drawing out and squaring it’s made from some 1/8 inch 60 grade rebar. And here is a blade I made not sure what you’d call it but it slices well. And last is a pic of my humble forge.  Any feedback would be well appreciated. Thanks

EA9899C9-390B-4802-8B14-C503127B8882.jpeg

72FAC61C-A222-43BB-9AE6-C2A2A36CA4AC.jpeg

EB39D847-4F65-4AC5-BAE9-F826131D49E6.jpeg

Is that a leaf blower? I suspect it's providing far too much air, which increases oxidation on your stock, increases fuel consumption, and can actually make your fire colder (you're providing more air than the fuel can use).

The "Solid Fuel Forge" section of this site, found here, has a great many excellent threads about different aspects of a home-made forge. Start with the JABOD thread and go from there. If knife- and blade-making is your focus, the bladesmithing forum is here, though you should be prepared for experienced smiths to tell you that you have a lot of skills that should be practiced before you try making a knife.

Aside from that, your paracord wraps look good. As long as you're experimenting, start with different pre-forms and see what they turn into when you forge in your bevels. Your grinds and surface finish look a little rough, but maybe that's not a big deal for a practice piece.

Welcome aboard!

I agree with Snuffy.  It looks like you burn a lot of fuel in that forge.  That blower would only be viable with anthracite coal but even then it is too much.  I’m a snob about volume and use a cheap yard inflatable blower that uses bearing on the motor and is quieter than a conversation.  I didn’t enjoy forging with a super loud blower thrumming away.

You should look into the JABOD.  Those bricks WILL crumble rather quickly.  Also, I’d suggest you draw or make blanks of the knives you want to make and then practice forging them to the right dimensions,  you will learn a lot more about forging that way and will be able to make exactly what you want down the road.

Lou 

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I admit I go through cowboy coal rather quickly. I built the interior of my forge to be changeable by removing certain bricks my fire can go from  4 inches wide by 5 inches long up to 16 inches long and 4 inches wide.  The air flow goes in through the side under the grill part where my coal sits.   I plan in the next month or so to build a propane forge with fire bricks but wanted something I can work with on a budget.  So far the only thing I’ve paid for is a few bags of lump charcoal, and an ASO.  The blower, the bricks, the table and the tools were all scrounged for or given to me by friends. Thank you again for the feedback.  If you have any ideas on where to find cheaper fire bricks that would be great.  $40 bucks for 6 thin blocks seems ridiculous.  

Before you commit to a certain type of forge, it may be useful to browse around the forge sections of the forums, bot solid-fuel and gas. The aforementioned JABOD-style forge is designed to be inexpensive and quick to set up. A propane forge can be cheaper to operate in the long run, but will require some cash outlay in materials and labor up front. Is there something about propane that appeals to you?

Given the materials and skills that you have available, and the risk you're prepared to accept, other options may be a better fit for you.

EDITED TO ADD: With regards to the leaf blower, you can pull it back from - or even out of - the forge so that it's just blowing air AT the fire, rather than dumping all of that too-great volume into the forge. It's not a perfect solution, but it should cut your fuel consumption and oxidation rates down a bit.