I Forge Iron

Hi new member from Twin Cities, MN

cere19

I'm as green as they come.  I've never done any work on a forge myself.  The first time I really got interested in blacksmithing is when me and my wife went to Galena IL on a extended weekend.  We went to the blacksmith shop there and watched the blacksmith make a decorative hook which we ended up buying once he was done.  When I got home from vacation I searched for forums and found this one but never created an account.  I finally made an account yesterday and talked with the wife that I want to take blacksmith classes.  I have a business that I do forfun with making wood and metal furniture type of stuff and figured blacksmith would go right along with it.  She encouraged me to take the classes so I contacted the local guild.  They happen to have a class that starts in 2 weeks on Saturday's but they only have 1 spot open and they fill it by the date the check is post marked.  I dropped the check in the mail today and have my fingers crossed that no one else dropped a check in the mail before me.  If this class is full I don't know when the next class will beand if I'll be able to attend it.  I want to try blacksmithing before I buy more own setup.  So if there's any blacksmith on here in the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities and would be willing to help teach me the beginner things I would more than willing give you some money for time and the materials to see if I like blacksmithing.  That is if the class is already full.Thanks Mike

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you. Almost as glad as I am the Admin IT gurus got the site debugged. I had to go a WHOLE DAY without an IFI fix!  :o

They're a good bunch in your region, I have friends up Elk River way though they're not into blacksmithing. 

It's an addictive craft to take up and you're right making specialized hardware and tools for woodwork is a common foot in the door here. Lots of blacksmiths used to do fine woodwork before they discovered hot iron and hammers. 

Like I say it's addictive and we'll help. B)

Frosty The Lucky.