I Forge Iron

Guillotine tool (adjustable variety) build ((photo heavy))

4 hours ago, DHarris said:

Still nothing new?

Just fired up the new Blackstone propane griddle for the first time after seasoning it and made cheeseburgers for Deb and I. It's our Mother's/Father's day RV gift to each other this year. Pretty good burgers.

You?

Frosty The Lucky.

I am one of those who doesn’t quite understand how this is intended to work. Looks like a press with a little bitty wheel. 

I tried RV’ing once. We rented one and spent a week in and around Jefferson, Tx and Texarkana. It was great until the first time I had to fill the fuel tank. 

MPG in an RV makes flying and renting a driver, motels and eating out pretty attractive for short term excursions. Say just hitting Quad State and doing a little couch surfing. 

Touring the lower 48 a few hours at a time on the other hand in a relatively small RV is a different thing. Deb's 27' Minnie Winnie has a Ford 450 as a carrier and is small enough to explore relatively small roads and overnight in little nooks. The dogs keep the riffraff from becoming a self defense issue. 

We'll see if we can spend that much time in close proximity as it goes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking along the lines of a convertible truck trailer unit.  the trailer would mount on the truck or be able to be pulled like a trailer.   

this way one could get decent toll rates and decent mileage or pull it as a trailer when wanted.  Full aluminum and all it would need is a bed, toilet/shower, and kitchenette setup. WE are not in each others lap kind of people but love to be "Nexyou". 

We looked at campers but buying a rental RV was a much better deal. It would've been different if we had a 1 ton or better pickup. A sound adequate sized used pickup isn't much less that the RV and add the used decent condition camper and the RV cost less. 

We have different kinds of tolls to deal with here and Deb drives slowly enough those are minimal, heck she avoids unpaved and rough roads like they were revenuers.

Frosty The Lucky.

LOL.  I like it..  The truck is the current plow truck so it has a life outside of being a truck..  It's lately been my full-time ride..  did I mention is a cab and chassis. I bought it that way for 3500 and it has the heavy springs in the back and the extra perches.  7.3L diesel. 

I agree with rental.  It can really make sense when or unless one has ample excess cash flow. 

8 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I bought it that way for 3500

Annnnnd you're a mechanic WITH a fully equipped shop. I don't even change my own oil anymore. Heck I don't even know where the spark plugs are on either the 2011 Chev pickup or the 2015 Dodge Journey and don't want to. It's a challenge finding the dip sticks even. 

Synthetic oils last longer now than some of my first vehicles did. Cost more too. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Had a few old SAABs with 350K + and my 2000 Audi A4 1.8T had 460K when I sold it to a friend of mine and was still getting 30mpg every tank full. 

I didn't start to use synthetics until the Audis. Now that is all I use. 

Thomas, I think American made cars are getting much better than they used to be as for mileage.   

VW TDI's is the way to go! Mine has 418k and nephew sold his which  had 660k and is still going.  Both averaged 45 to 48mpg. The wifes Audi Q7 TDI is getting 28 highway which is pretty impressive for a full size suv, but is a bear to work on sometimes with all the bells and whistles. Indeed German engineering is a bit different then American.

When I was about 18 I was given a 1982 Corolla wagon that had a little over320,000 miles on it and after numerous Grateful Dead tours it had about 450,000 miles on it when I gave it away. I seen it still going about three years later. Take care of a vehicle and they'll last a good while. The Saturn I bought ten years ago for 500 bucks just broke down it's got 239,000 miles. I can't figure out what's wrong with it though :-( 

Pnut (Mike)