I Forge Iron

Guillotine tool (adjustable variety) build ((photo heavy))

Got a good start on making an adjustable Guillotine tool.. The height between centers will be adjustable as will using standard hardie tooling as well as specialized GT tooling only.. It will both be able to use on the bias as well as in line.. 

This build was inspired by both JHCC's build and after having a few PM"s with Frosty.. Thanks guys for the info.. 

The top dies are giving me some design problems but think I have it worked out.. This will be a Prototype for the top dies but the arms which will be made next will be removable so the only investment will be my time and a few materials.. 

This should address nearly all the short comings of a conventional GT that kept me all this time avoiding them.. 

20180921_113024.jpg

20180921_120030.jpg

20180921_122216.jpg

20180921_122221.jpg

20180921_122640.jpg

20180921_130853.jpg

20180921_130903.jpg

20180921_130917.jpg

20180921_141940.jpg

20180921_171411.jpg

Greetings JLP,

Always a challenge to build a better mouse trap... LOL ... Mini fly press?  Some of my best tooling started out as one thing and ended up as a successful tool completely different than my original intention.. Keepa thinking. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

So after looking at all the possibilities and while the forged tapers with male counters would work I decided I wanted a redesign and spent time at the metal lathe today and did the male parts again with a larger taper/steeper angle..  I also tapped the holes for the adjustment screws.. 

Tomorrow I'll turn the female sections.. 

The shafting is actually case hardened rod.. Not sure where it came from but the stuff is brutal on HSS so had to use inserts.. 

20181003_142249.jpg

20181003_152734.jpg

Frosty.. Your just going to have patience to see it.. These are for the pivots which will make the arm adjustable but also lock into place like a morse taper.. 

SFC Snuffy..  Not sure.. I bought it at the last blacksmithing meet for 25.00.. I believe it was some sort of pipe holder.. It came with multi V jaws of hardened steel.. I cut it in such a way I can weld it back together if the need ever takes place.. 

Not quite the right word for them but they will act as locks but also allow for the pieces to rotate for alignment..  Lock down/release bolt are next.. 

I will now have to adjust the back support a little further back.. I measured with the new pieces and I want  just a little extra clearance.. 

A classic view of a trunnion is found on a canon barrel.

They are the two protrusions located on each side of the barrel closer to the breech than to the muzzle. (Open end).

The trunnions allow the barrel to be raised or depressed.  They also serve to attach the barrel to the gun carriage.

SLAG.

A trunnion (from Old French "trognon", trunk [1]) is a cylindrical protrusion used as a mounting or pivoting point. First associated with cannons, they are an important military development. [2]

Alternatively, a trunnion is a shaft that positions and supports a tilting plate. This is a misnomer, as in reality it is a cradle for the true trunnion.

Trunnion positions saw table and provides a pivot point.

In mechanical engineering (see the trunnion bearing section below), it is one part of a rotating joint where a shaft (the trunnion) is inserted into (and turns inside) a full or partial cylinder.

• 4 months later...

Hi, Sorry but I have been distracted else where.. But it is on the agenda as each time I walk by it, it moves up the ladder of things to get done.. 

I had to move nearly all the xtra items from the trailer last demo which was months ago, but since the Blacksmithing is part time (few times a month) I just haven't gotten around to it.. 

I will update here as information processes with photo's..  

Sorry about that..  Maybe this week or next as there will be a slight change in design..