I Forge Iron

Anvil ID please

Well, I run across this today. Hopefully I did better than the cast iron anvil :( It's in rough shape, but looks plenty usable to me.  

The numbers as far as I can tell are 413-09-449 8  It also has a letter U some . .  and possibly a 17.

Feels like 100 lbs to me.  I don't have a ball bearing for a bounce test, but it does ring nicely.  Anyone know what it is?  Lady found it in a barn in speedwell TN

20180920_154838.thumb.jpg.c1a07ec9e41fc3a47ae876708377b962.jpg20180920_160030.thumb.jpg.fafb5a64639581aa3dd0b320b27f0ca0.jpg

Yeah back in the day ss number was etched or punched or(  ) into things to ID them if stolen. Looks old- is there a pritchel hole? I can't tell from the pix. If not, could be pre 1830 ish. Looks like some of the steel plate top is worn thru/ broken, but seems there is enough left to forge on. NO GRINDING ON THE FACE!. Clean it up if you want with a wire brush, and polish the top with hot steel.

Steve

Yeah, it looks like someone's SS number ID. That would be back in the day identity theft meant taking the person. I remember buying an electric engraving pen so I could mark my stuff with my SS number. Not saying what though. :P

That old lady has see a lot of work but if you stay off the close edge (in the pic) where part of the face is gone it should most certainly be a step up from a cast iron ASO. She probably won't take really heavy work so no strikers and heavy sledges. Okay? She definitely looks OLD, oh there's ANVIL! 

Use her in good health.

Frosty The Lucky. 

0.3.1 is deffinately the weight stamp in the English hundred weight. They are rarely right on, usually off around 10# give or take. 

I almost think I see part of a name stamp but can't make it out. 

Almost looks like the remnants of a 2 after the 1 in the weight stamp so possibly marked 0.3.12 which would make it "marked" 96#.

Sure looks like a Mouse Hole to me, especially with letters we can make out.  Do us all a favor.....take that long stake out of the Hardy hole and don't ever use that to pound on while in the hardy hole.  It will keep wedging in there putting pressure on it and you could crack or break off the tail.  That thing was never meant to be in the hardy hole.  I think I read somewhere that Mouse Holes get between 65% and 70% rebound on average - some more some less.  I'm sure someone will chime in and say their MH gets 90% rebound returns, but it seems somewhere I read that the 70% number is more common because of the miles they have on them and the methods use to produce them.  I could be remembering wrong.  She's got some life left in her for sure, just treat here real gentle in the sense of not using sledge hammers and such.  Better than the first anvil I ever used.

1 hour ago, killbox21 said:

Is there a donation button somewhere or is purchasing merchandise the correct way? 

Glenn,

Do you hear Mr. Killbox?

Also;   I SLAG. second the idea.

To me it sounds like a sound plan.

Tuck away the modesty, and go for Bunkie!

SLAG.

Start with simple things, but make sure they are simple things you are interested in making as that just adds to the enjoyment.  Hooks and racks are fun.  Make a rack to hold your hammers or tongs.  Make an S hook or a J hook.  All those projects will teach you some skills as you get used to things.  

It's also worth your time to research proper hammer holding and swing techniques.  Gripping too hard is a habit that if you never start will help you later on.  There are lots of threads on here about this that were really helpful to me.

Have fun above all things and be safe.  Wear safety glasses always.  A hot piece of scale in your eye could ruin your year and is easily preventable.  Operate your gas forge safely in an area with continuous fresh air so you don't have a problem with carbon monoxide poisoning.  Did I mention have fun?  :D

0*3*12 for sure! 0 x 112 + 3 x 28 + 12 == 96 so 93 well withing tolerance with so much use,

There are several starting methods. Some advocate doing a lot of specific processes to learn them well and then progressing.

That would bore me to tears; so I try to make items that use such processes so S hooks and drive hooks are what I would suggest; but things you can use to dress up your shop and house.

I like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Weygers and "The Backyard Blacksmith", Sims as starter books.  ILL them from your local public library and see which one you like best.