I Forge Iron

Old military forge questions

Danzinar

Hello all. First post here. Just bought this forge yesterday and would love to give it a try. Bought it without legs and blower. What is this folding hood like item? Did that come with it originally? Also what is the bracket on the middle of the lid for? 

16A73B37-84F4-426E-A2E1-A61DF9212299.jpeg

A56A5254-0A98-4E2A-B485-7CC15DDCEE99.jpeg

547D303E-2236-40D5-A169-E5A374ED9707.jpeg

These are some reference pics I found of the unit in use and of the blower I need to fit. Any idea on what to call this blower? Through my searching it seems this ones reference number is elusive. Any tips for setup? Just throw some dirt in there to keep the fuel in the middle? 

1EB7F2C0-D710-48B9-BE01-C5F0EC21905B.jpeg

1EA57A0A-CA03-4788-9FE5-71BD520F7BB7.jpeg

1A51EDB1-94E3-4C20-AE83-82517493EB50.jpeg

4 hours ago, Danzinar said:

What is this folding hood like item? Did that come with it originally? Also what is the bracket on the middle of the lid for? 

I think the folding hood may be a retro fire pot (not original) and the bracket was missing on mine so I'm not sure but probably held the blower down when packed or maybe an entrenching tool (shovel).

6 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Yep an Army pack forge. The blower is a Champion Lancaster no model number. You can pack it with dirt as it was designed or make a retro fit fire pot like I did, because when traveling dirt isn't always available.

Ahh I came across your post during my original searches. I like what you did, my fire pot doesn’t quite fit like I would think it should. Thanks for the info and a quick reply. I’m gonna keep an eye out for that blower so I can get this thing going. 

5FAE7056-6B64-4E53-AA5D-0ED5C74007FC.jpeg

I thought this was neat (I like old military stuff) so I poked around a bit.  Here's a video where the guy is talking about a forge like this.  He mentions a 32lb anvil would be packed in it.  I wonder it the bracket was to keep the anvil from sliding around in the box? 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:31 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Danzinar, where did you find the forge? I grew up in Fairfield, and there are still some treasures around that area.

I drove to Napa to get the forge. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for any more goodies, now that I’m sinking my teeth into it. 

On 9/21/2018 at 10:45 AM, wbj said:

I thought this was neat (I like old military stuff) so I poked around a bit.  Here's a video where the guy is talking about a forge like this.  He mentions a 32lb anvil would be packed in it.  I wonder it the bracket was to keep the anvil from sliding around in the box? 

Neat bit of history thanks! I’m just gonna go with everyone and say it was to hold something steady in the box

On 9/21/2018 at 11:31 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Danzinar, where did you find the forge? I grew up in Fairfield, and there are still some treasures around that area.

Also since you’re a local, do you know where I can get some forge fuel? 

2 hours ago, Reeltree said:

Danzinar,,it took a bit of rummaging but I knew I had one out in the shop somewhere.  The shipping would probably make it cost prohibited.  But is here if you absolutely can't find one

IMG_20180924_150924620.jpg

IMG_20180924_150852139.jpg

Oooooo! What price you thinking? I’m hoping to snag another forge that’s complete next week but if that falls through then I’m just gonna throw a hairdryer or something in there until I come across the proper one.

edit: I don’t need the pipe portion just the blower, maybe that’ll cut down on shipping a little.