I Forge Iron

Soft Firebrick Retailer?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the blacksmithing world and was wondering if there were any smiths out in Western Pennsylvania that knew where I could buy some soft firebricks for a good price. I've searched around quite a bit online but can't seem to find anything relatively inexpensive. I mostly find some decently priced bricks but then the shipping is more than the bricks themselves. 

If anyone knows of a good brick and mortar store near(ish) Pittsburgh or of a good online retailer for soft firebrick, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Thank you for the welcome and the helpful link.

I'm primarily looking to use them for blocking off my propane forge (serving as "doors) to help insulate the forge. I would also like to put one in the forge itself to replace the hard firebrick I've been using as a shelf. I've been having trouble getting my forge up to proper forging temperatures and have heard that soft bricks would work a bit better to insulate it. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. The current best insulating fire brick we know of here is the "K 26" insulating fire brick. They withstand the fast thermal cycling home forges put them through very well and they're available in most of the free world. "High Temp. Inc" make them, Axner supply sells them as do many others. I believe Ebay had the best prices a while ago but Amazon has sources. Call the local HVAC service and or supply company, if they don't carry them they'll know who does.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I'm with Frosty about the K26 bricks. We have been using soft firebricks as doors for the forge and they crack from the thermal cycling after a couple firings. The only reason we are using them is we have a lot of them left over from our pottery kilns. At the current usage rate we will be ordering K26 bricks shortly. I would use high alunima kiln shelf for the floor or cast one out of bubble alumina or Kast-o-Lite and coat it all with Metrikote or Plistix (sp) (check with Waynecoeartistblacksmith) for supplies.

How about some pictures of your forge setup. oops I just clicked on your link to your other thread.

And speaking of high-alumina kiln shelf, have you tried calling a local pottery supply? That's where I get my K26 firebrick.

Also, you might start a new thread in the Gas Forges section of this site with pictures of your forge and people could help you sort out how to get the best performance out of your forge.

Hi Billy, Clay Arts might have the K26 bricks, I don't know. I was on my way to Seattle Pottery Supply to pick some up and tried calling Clay Arts to see if they did, but they didn't pick up the phone, so I continued on to SPS. I know Clay Arts has Kastolite 30.

Edit: I just checked Clay Arts website - they do have the K26 bricks.

• 3 weeks later...