I Forge Iron

G&P Machinery 2x90 grinder?

JHCC

14 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Oh, I’m just belting them out!

It's probably why I took a shine to you. 

Nice job on the hammer. Kind of makes me wonder how the little wheel grinder feels about the new one. 

You do know belt grinders aren't good for sharpening metal cutters like drill and lathe bits, yes?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Also tried out polishing a bevel on the still-in-progress Bowie knife. 

1DC26E3E-ED3E-4D78-80EF-FBB449B00F58.jpeg

On 9/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, JHCC said:

I think at some point I might get the narrow contact wheel setup (as seen in the picture above) for doing narrow fullers.

Now that I have the grinder, I’m no longer sure this is an option. The online materials from G&P seem to show some kind of interchangeable fixture that is missing from my grinder. I think I may have an older model. 

Two items of note: 

First, I found someone on eBay selling a box of five 2 x 90 Norton R999B belts in 24 grit for $22.50 including shipping. I know that's a really coarse grit, but I figure it will get me started and give me capacity for rough grinding things other than knives. Hard to beat the price, too.

Second, there was someone at Quad-State this weekend selling a practically identical grinder (fitted out with a 3-phase motor and VFD, along with some 1 x 90 AO belts) for $750, marked down from $900. Feeling even better about what I paid!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally figured out the tracking mechanism: the top and bottom screws adjust the angle of the bracket that holds the top wheel; the middle screw locks everything in place. I look forward to more consistent plunge grinds. 

On 9/20/2018 at 11:24 AM, John in Oly, WA said:

Just did a search for belts and found zirconia 80 grit 2x90 belts for $6.73 a piece. That's not a bad price.

Found another place that has 2x90 zirconia belts for $3.65 to $5.75 (twice that if you order fewer than 12). Ordered a dozen in 120 grit; with shipping, it comes to about $4.81 per belt.

It looks there aren't a lot of places that carry 2x90 belts -- certainly none of the places on the current version of the Suppliers List. Since this place looks like they make everything to order, odd sizes aren't a problem. If this order works out, I suspect I'll be back.