I Forge Iron

G&P Machinery 2x90 grinder?

JHCC

I just got a line on this beastie, which seems like an interesting option for someone with limited space and budget. It's a 2x90 vertical grinder with a 2½" contact wheel at the top, a vertical platen on one side, and a slack-belt area on the other. The one I'm interested in is used, and I have no idea if the motor (a 1hp TEFC Baldor that runs on 115v single phase) works or not. The seller is asking $150 -- think it's worth it? Are 2x90 belts harder to find than 2x72s or so much more expensive that I'd end up paying more in the long run?

Here's a photo from the manufacturer's website:

TS-90D.png

(Note that this is shown with a narrower belt and smaller radius contact wheel than the one I'm considering.)

1 hp seems a little wimpy to me for that size grinder, but that's the original power motor for the model.   For me if all the bearings rolled smoothly and everything else appeared to be in good working order it would still be worth $150 even if the motor didn't run.  I happen to have a TEFC 1hp motor sitting in the garage that isn't currently being used though.

A belt option is to have them made up to size, there have to be companies doing that there, there are two less than 50 miles from me. Oooor, buy belting by the roll, make up a little jig and glue or tape your own. I used to repair and make belts when they were stupid expensive up here after the GOOD hardware store in Anch. closed up, Mr. & Mrs. MacKay retired and the kids just wanted the money so they liquidated. It was a terrific hardware store, in the industrial supply building they had 2 makes of metal spinning lathes in different sizes, tools, etc.  It killed me when they closed, I still have the box of soft iron rivets I got there. 

Anyway, at that price I"m glad you pulled the trigger John, just the stand and table are worth the money, motors that size are cheap enough. Good score if the belt tracks and moves freely, running or not, it's a useful grinder. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The company that makes it is still in business too, in case I need help with it.  I think at some point I might get the narrow contact wheel setup (as seen in the picture above) for doing narrow fullers.

The fact that almost all the cost will be covered by the balance of the custom-project-to-be-revealed-later made it a lot easier for the Comptroller's Office (i.e., Lisa) to approve the purchase.

We could start a thread about how well grinding/polishing compound works on belt grinders if you wind on yarn instead of a belt. Once we have 20-30 posts you accidentally leave that thread open while she's close. Hmmmm? 

You buy single belts at Alaska Industrial Hardware if they have a likely grit and you're experimenting. They're typically around $15 each and no I don't buy singles anymore, I have a good idea what I need and a couple of the local bladesmith guys buy in quantity. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

It's a LOT cheaper shipping things out nobody wants to dead head a container, truck, barge, etc. so space goes for bargain prices depending on where down there of course.

The few times I shipped smithing tools up, air freight was about 60% trucking it and WAY faster. Heck I air freighted about 1,500 lbs. on a pallet and it beat me home. Happily I worked about a 7 minute walk from the terminal and picking it up was a matter of minutes. Less than an hour after landing I was unloading my trailer at home. Stored the trailer in the yard at work. It was a nice set up.

Frosty The Lucky. 

The suggestion to move the motor mount might not be difficult or could be next to impossible. I think I live right next to impossible. It was kind of a joke aimed at myself. People who know me laugh all the time because I'm constantly modifying just about everything I buy - but ONLY because it's just not quite right...I mean everyone should see that it's just not quite right and NEEDS to be modified. I can't be the only one that sees the obvious, can I? :D

Update: I went and picked it up (along with a $10 die grinder; it’s an abrasive kind of day).

88F38738-0251-459A-93F8-EDD47C13466E.jpeg

The jig is made from 1/2” micarta or something similar. I took it off, attached a 3-prong plug to what was left of the cord, plugged it in, crossed my fingers, and switched it on. It works!

CD56A954-A7AF-4561-9754-E28B8ECE1147.jpeg

There’s no way to move the motor mount. The top wheel is at the top of a long spring-loaded rod that moves up and down to tension or release the belt. 

9B75F5A9-23A4-4E27-B384-A998F009342F.jpeg

The rod is moved by stepping on the bottom end, which sticks out at a right angle. Simple, effective design. 

8C5BA0CD-0B09-4008-A15A-CFEE75179EED.jpeg

I’ve removed the jig, squared the table, and put the grinder by the end of the forge with my old pedestal grinder to make a nice grinding station. 

98D54F47-451E-498A-BD3F-2A53A8067586.jpeg

So far, I’m very happy. Just need to get some belts to give a full review. The battered 180 grit belt that came with it is doing a nice job shining up some hammer faces. 

8DEAB99E-8AE3-4355-BD25-F61BBD74A461.jpeg

The slack side is great for gentle rounding:

C59F43A9-09A5-4133-90CB-8FF9C1B3D3D5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Takes grit to post a line like that one John.

Oh, I’m just belting them out!