I Forge Iron

Third book

So I just got my third blacksmithing book today. The Backyard Blacksmith. I already had New Edge of the Anvil and The Modern Blacksmith. Both good books, hoping this one adds to it. Any other books that someone recommends for beginners? I’m trying to cram as much info as I can while I start learning. I know that nothing beats experience but it can’t hurt having some good reference material. I’d like to get a good heat treating book to have. Also AIA looks like something I’d want, will wait on that though. 

Why not read IForgeIron cover to cover? There are over 48,000 questions and over 580,000 answers that cover blacksmithing and metalworking, and it is available for free.

You mentioned heat treating. Did you look at the heat treating section on the site? Heat Treating, general discussion that covers Annealing, Hardening, Heat Treating, Tempering. There is also a heat treating for knives at Heat Treating Knives, Blades etc, and a section in Steve Sells first book Introduction to Knifemaking. He is working on a second book that may have different heat treating information for blades.

If you have specific questions, find that section on the site and read the information there. With that knowledge you can then have an idea as to how to better refine your search for information. Another great source for knowledge and information is the blacksmithing groups and organizations meetings. You will learn more in just a few hours than you can imagine. Then refine your question and seek out the specific information and answers. There is a meeting called SOFA in Ohio going on this weekend.  An abundance of blacksmithing information will be available during the gathering, demos, and there will be all kinds of tools and equipment for sale.

Please give us specific information that you are interested in, and we can suggest a source or a specific book for you. The more specific your question, the more specific an answer can be provided.

Lol, well that would probably take longer than any book or series of books for that matter. I know most of what I need is on the site and almost any specific question I have will be answered in detail. That’s why I come straight here when I have a question, well I normally google the question with “ifi” or “I forge iron” so it shows this site. Although I also enjoy reading books for the part that it’s a lot of information from one persons side of it, so you can really get a feel for what they mean. Also a reason some books aren’t as good because they seem bias. But that’s what more books are for. I also like that I can have a book in the shop as reference when needed, if something happens to it at least I’m not out much money. Aside from my phone gets broke that’s $1000 down the drain. Also I do have several forums I found intriguing enough to go back to copies for me to later print out for that same reason. 

In the end, I want to have all sources of good knowledge, this site included. I’d also like to find a nice simple chart for heat treating. I’ve seen videos of guys who have them but I can never find one for sale or online. I’ll probably just have to gather all the info and I’ll make and print one myself. I haven’t looked at Steve’s guide though, I know I’ve glanced it but once I need some particular info on it I’ll be sure to check it out. 

Heat treating in general is just that, general information for a general type steel.

If you want to get a little more specific may I suggest BP0078 The Metallurgy of Heat Treating for Blacksmiths on the site. This contains much of the information, terminology, and descriptions that you will need to understand heat treating. 

If you have a specific project, then use a specific type steel that will provide exactly the properties that your project needs. Get the specific heat treatment specifications for THAT type steel and follow the directions for the best results.

This will answer your question but will pose another very important question, that is the exact properties needed for the steel for your project. You will need to know which specific elements to add to the mix of the steel and what properties each of those elements will do when added. There is the additional issue of which added elements play well together and which do not play well together. All this is metallurgy chemistry. 

Each question has several answers, and each answer creates many new questions. You should chase down the information until you become knowledgeable on the subject. Only then do you have the answer for THAT question. Each new simple question is another new adventure, another long path, and more and more information to add to your data base.

Choose a specific question, include as many details as you can to explain the question, and we can provide references, books, etc, that will help explain things. We want you to succeed, but many times the answer is an explanation, not a quick one word or one line reply.

For instance Metallurge 472 pages, Publisher: Amer Technical Pub; 5 edition (June 1, 1977) ISBN-10: 082693482X, ISBN-13: 978-0826934826, is a text for students, machinists and foundrymen explains principles, defines terms, outlines manufacturing processes, and provides information on the metals titanium, zirconium, indium, and vanadium.

image.png

Back to your original question, have you read the section on book reviews that has 8 pages of reviews.? Book Reviews.

All of this is to try to provide you with some idea of the depth of what is available, and some references to chase down if your interested. How deep into the subject you go is up to you. It is not a sprint, but a life long journey in search of knowledge.

Mr. Pr3ssure Sir,

I have a strong feeling that you are indeed interested in the heat treatment of steel, for sheer interest.

But,  also,   for practical information for a project that you have in mind. or just made.

In order to give answers to some of your questions, we need more information concerning what you propose to make.  Perhaps a knife or less likely, a barrel hinge etc.

So  what object have you made or have in mind?

(I repeat myself, but it is early in the day for this night owl).

What type of steel are you working with?

Each type of steel (alloy), requires a different treatment, re time temperature quenching media, (e.g.  oil, water air, cryo treatment) etc.

So: such information is crucial for us to formulate an answer.

You are right about the best approach for developing as a smith. Namely the combination of Information, hands-on instruction, and repetition (experience).

I recommend the following books:

1)  Lorelei Sims  the "Backyard Blacksmith", (SLAG strongly suggests that you read it from cover to cover. In order to get a good overview of the craft and a scope of techniques, and what can be accomplished).

2)  Mark Aspery's,   first book in his  "Skills of a blacksmith", series.

Skip volumes 2 & 3 for now.,

And 

3)  "country Blacksmithing" by  Charles McRaven.

Consult the last two for specific topics.

Your books, you have, are very good too. Use them.

Glenn's suggestion to check out the book reviews section here is a very good one.

There is another book review section at Jock's, (Guru), site too.

I suggest that you buy Steve Sells, knife making book,  Introduction To knifemaking, which is available, for order on this site. 

BEWARE of getting cought up studying books. Too much of that,  is a form of procrastination, you want to get started.

Commence hammering metal  And initially, sometimes, making a mess.  Incidentally. the latter is a specialty,  of SLAG Industries (p.l.c.)

I suggest that you start out smithing mild steel, first.  Then, progress to high carbon steel for knives) , (e.g. the 1075 and up, carbon alloys steels) .  And further down the road  specialty alloy steels. (such as, 4120, w3, O1, S7,) etc.

Hope that helps.

SLAG.

One day you may wish to progress to the study of ferrous metallurgy, and join a select, rarified group of i.f.i. enthusiasts!

5 hours ago, anvil said:

I suggest the free apk for both iphone and android called  "Heat treaters guide companion" For all steel specs.

I actually found the forum about that last night, was hoping all the information was accurate. Want to make a chart with all the  basics steels and add to it as needed. 

SLAG, as of this point I’m not working on anything except setting up my forge. So it’s all pure interest right now. Although here within the week I’m am hoping to have the wheels mounted on my forge and have my anvil mounted, then I’ve just gotta get some coal. Although at that point I’m am more than willing to just make some charcoal if I have to. Heck I’ll even buy another bag of anthracite from Lowe’s if they still have it (even though it’s a pain). 

I am currently in the process of finishing my first two books and starting the third while I finish my work I need to do. Reading is something I do once I have nothing else to do, usually before bed. I am a bit of a procrastinator, but nothing’s really had me as excited as the firepot and tuyere I bought, so I don’t think it will be a problem here. 

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Steve Sells book is a very good one. You don't necessarily have to purchase some books. There are some for free downloading. One I suggest is The Blacksmith's Manual Illustrated on the BAM site.

http://www.bamsite.org/books/BLACKSMITHS-MANUAL-ILLUSTRATED.pdf

I’ve definitely thought about Steve’s book, I was once interested in starting my forging to learn knives but the more I learned the further from that I’ve gone. I still want to be able to make a nice knife but for now I’m just as interested in every aspect of smithing. I’m sure there’s plenty of good information not only geared towards knives in it though. I might buy it just to help support the site and a fellow smith and have it on the back burner when the time comes. 

I’ve also downloaded some free PDFs that I found from ABANA, one was called like hand controlled forging or something. It wasn’t as easy for me to sit and read since it was on my laptop and staring at the screen all night hurts my eyes. I did get most the way through it though. 

Mr. Pr3ssure,

Mr. Sells's book is not just knife making.  He has good information on blacksmithing in general.  And also heat treating, and good metallurgy notes,  too.

Lillico's book is, in my opinion not beginner blacksmithing material. He was an 'engineer's' blacksmith. Highly skilled and working to high tolerances. (in the 1950's and earlier)

Check out the blacksmith C.O.S.I.R.A. series of books.  Available on the B.A.M. site.

There are at least 7 or 8 books on various topics. 

Carry on Pilgrim. It is a great and practical craft.

Which can keep you learning and progressing for a lifetime.

Cheerio,

SLAG.