I Forge Iron

First Pattern Welded Knife

Zachary

Actually this only probably my third or fourth knife shaped object to date. I don’t consider myself a knife maker at all I just decided to give it a try.  It’s 136 layers of 15n20 and 1084 with a brass pins and a curly maple handle. The guard is a different pattern from a scrap piece left over from another project. There’re a lot of things that could be better but I’m happy with it at this point.

684BF950-59A5-43C8-AB50-A7D1737DD866.jpeg

24399AE5-AD4E-42FA-9932-B0F0E9C0C1E8.jpeg

CFCAB978-D52B-47D0-8875-3CC27FA8CA25.jpeg

2EC79D5C-0201-4483-BE05-D691FC8FDBCA.jpeg

8FC7B16E-F70F-4679-A9AB-B74487AA542A.jpeg

The steel looks good.  Not washed out or muddy looking like a lot of early pattern welding attempts.  

The grinding and fit and finish will come along with practice.  I'd encourage you to take the grind higher up the side of the blade.

That a great piece of curly maple.  Did you do an aqua fortis finish on it?

I need to play with aqua fortis.  I love that look.

You'll find your grind referred to as a "Noob grind" in some circles.  Many commercially made knives are ground like that, so it is understandable why people start there.  Below is a pic of a similar blade I did a while ago, but the grind goes almost all the way to the spine.  If you look closely, you'll see that most makers have grinds more along these lines.

What part of northern Indiana are you in?

IMG_20160912_110759041.thumb.jpg.8822e0302ebf48c4bdce42e385833a19.jpg

Yes, aqua fortis is the best to use on curly anything.  When we burned wood for heat a few years back, I got a lot of curly ash mixed in.  I saved as much as I could.  When using regular stains, they settle into the grain and disrupt seeing the curly pattern but aqua fortis doesn't do that and it turns out fabulous.  

You sir made an excellent looking knife!

The more common name for aqua fortis is nitric acid.

That mild acid is used to give some woods an aged look.

The reagent would be around a ten percent solution of nitric acid.

Pine and maple wood are often treated with that chemical.

Please look up safety sheets for handling mineral acids, before using those reagents.

They can give a nasty burn or even kill you.

SLAG.

Good points Slag, I always use gloves and do the AF treatment outside.  I've found rubber gloves are not needed and that regular first aid type latex gloves are enough protection for this type of work.  I wouldn't recommend ever using it indoors without ventilation or the right kind of mask.  Sure works really well though.