I Forge Iron

Oxy Acetylene regulators

Pr3ssure

So since my neighbor has been letting me use his garage and torch and all that, I've notice that the regulators are both pretty beat up. Neither of them leak so I'm not worried about a failure or anything. At least not yet. He was donated the tanks and everything but I'd like to replace them as a nice gesture, you know? I was wondering what a good set of cheaper regulators are. I saw some on the walmart site for like $24 per regulator or so. Would those be worth buying? I'm sure they'd work and all but am I getting what I pay for for the most part? I don't think the torch has gotten much use aside from me using it the last few days. Although I want to get something that's going to last. I've read about Victors being nice, but they are a little expensive.

Basically wondering if there are any cheaper brands that are nice. I'm not trying to cheap out but I'd like to not pay more than $100 for a set if possible. I would even be interested in kits that come with regulators, tips and a hose. I'm sure it could use it. By the way, it's a full size setup, not mini tanks.

Thanks in advance,

Pr3ssure

I wouldn't buy Walmart oxy accet anything. A good hardware store or better, welding supply will have good ones. Victors aren't that expensive, Cyberweld has them listed at around $90 ea. You can find a Victor welding set for less than $180. Be patient and shop around. 

If the Walmart gauge are Victors I MIGHT consider them but . . . 

Oxy Acet sets are probably THE most dangerous tool in a metal shop, skimping is not a good idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alright. Pretty much what I figured. I saw a nice set, can’t remember the brand right now but it had a few tips, hose and regulators. It was like $180. Seems worth it. I did see some victor on eBay for like $30 but I’d be weary and wouldn’t buy without sealed packaging. 

Make sure it's ok with your neighbor to replace them. My Craftsman regulators are at least 30 years old and look it, but I would be upset if someone replaced them with inferior ones. Also just because they look a little rough (beat up) doesn't mean they need replacing. Like others have said only replace them with top of the line and they will last for decades. I wouldn't recommend Craftsman today because they don't make them like they used to.

One way of getting an idea if the old regs are dammaged is to turn the cylinder on but just leave the torch turned off and if the pressure creeps up on the outlet side  then they are faulty and can be dangerous if the fuel gas is acetylene as above 15 psi it can become unstable. When you turn the cylinder valves on do it slowly as if you just crack them open the high pressure gas can surge through and this slams the internal metering valve onto its seat and will damage it, with care regs last along time. You can usually get new gauges as well and fit them to the old regs, just make sure they are made for use in a gas set and a side note dont use copper pipe as hose joiner with acetylene as it can form copper acetylide or something like that that is shock sensitive if i remember correctly.

Just take the set to the welding supply, they'll test them for you, usually gratic. They have a strong incentive to make sure nobody is using faulty torch gear. They also have a chance of selling components or a set if you have something faulty. 

Beaver brought up a good point. ALWAYS open the tank valve slowly, especially with older regulators and NEVER stand in front of the adjustment screw! Regulators rarely fail catastrophically, very rarely. However when they do they most often strip the screw threads and tank pressure against the diaphragm fires the adjustment screw like a bullet. Even if it only happens once in a million times it's not uncommon to have turned a set of torches on more times than that.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don’t think they are faulty they are just old. Plus one gauge on each regulator doesn’t have the armthat shows pressure anymore. I’m just gonna save up to buy him a nice kit with new hose and regulators and some tips. The least I can do, he’s cut off probably 6 months or more when it comes to finding and buying everything to make my table, plus $150 atleast. 

Don't do that, chances are whatever you buy will be lower quality. Take them in have them checked out and buy two new gauges. The welding supply will dress the seats so they seal properly on the tank, replace the O rings and other wear items while testing. Selling a couple new gauges will put a smile on their faces.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

He isn't helping you for payback, especially not welding tools and equipment, he knows decades more about what he wants or need in these things. A little fluff and buff is good, replacing them isn't. You might be replacing an old Mercedes with a brand spanking new Ugo. New isn't necessarily better. You don't know enough to be able to judge. Yet, this takes time and experience be patient. His payment is helping someone along the way. 

That's why I'm here, I'm not so good at the anvil since the accident but I can help folk so I do.

Frosty The Lucky.