I Forge Iron

Apartment Dweller with Anvil

Have anvil, will lug...Value & Utility.  When I had my first townhouse in DC I took up the hammer.  Bought this in Denver for $40.00.  I want to make more siver jewelry,  and forget knives.  Hard to do in a one bedroom apartment. 

Suggestions for a small, 15-20 lb. anvil?

This one rings crisp like a bell, the hammer bounces back like a ricochet. 

How should I clean it?

20180916_165127.jpg

20180916_165118.jpg

It's a number 10 Vulcan. Some consider them to be at the bottom of the food chain as far as anvils go. I would use some paint remover to get the paint off then a wire brush followed by boiled linseed oil to protect it. You paid about what it's worth.

BTW welcome and reading this thread will help getting the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

• 2 weeks later...

Nice score for $40.

I have the very same one and thought I stole it at $150.

its a good anvil but I know its limitations. I have a 100 lbs chunk of steel that I use for bigger hammers and/or harder hits.

You must have a really nice one because doesnt ring at all, which I find a good thing.

Nice.  I thought it was a better than fair, but wasn't sure.  Had 'book' knowledge but not experience. I knew it would be useful to me eventually.  Understand that some consider this a 'training' anvil, but I am training.  Dad wasn't a smith.  He was a VP of sales for CBS.  Although we had a family farm which I visited quite often in Missouri, a large farm complete with two barns and many outbuildings, I grew up in the suburbs of Denver. It would have been more appropriate to take up blacksmithing there then when I did in my town home in DC. The important thing is that I'm doing it now, whatever way I need to. Thanks for your response

Herb; due to an incredible stroke of luck; your anvil doesn't give a hoot about who your father was!  It only cares about how YOU use it...   It is a lower grade anvil; but it is a real anvil!. If you live in urban or suburban areas it may actually work better for you than one of the incredibly loud higher grade anvils!

In general, antecedents are valued here more for the range of knowledge they bring into  this site than for social status; so the fact that Frosty's Father owned and worked  a Metal Spinning business  generally carries more weight than the fact that my father retired as President of Cellular systems for AT&T, (though his years working on systems engineering for the Apollo program do provide some interesting tidbits now and then)

My Father was not a smith, nor were my grandfathers;   however one of my great grandfathers was a smith in a small Arkansas Hill Town. Unfortunately I don't have any of his tools or items made by him and he died when I was in low single digits.I do have 13 acres of the land he accumulated, (about 1.5 square miles), I believe by accepting it as payments during the Depression.

We are a very diverse group and welcome you to it! I've hot forged silver into various Viking era patterns and enjoyed being able to do that in the basement during Ohio winters using a one soft firebrick forge and a plumber's propane torch as the burner.

What is cp 1 cp2 ti? I'll start another thread, because there's so much learned wisdom, tips, tricks, and I hope there are a lot of cool and simple solutions for beginner's with no shop.  Are there plans on this site for that simple firebrick forge?  Is it something you could pack into your trunk and work out in the country with permission?  I'm guessing that it stays hot too long for a one day and back project.  Thanks for the ideas...