BryanL

Champion No. 0 back to work

Got the ram put pack on and somewhat aligned. Was very satisfying to have it move so smoothly. 

Sweet man. It looks really smooth. Great minds must think alike, all the hammers I have been rebuilding are painted in hunter green, black, and gold lettering as well. It just looks good!

Yeah I'm in love with the colors. But every time I turn around there is some other piece that needs paint. Somehow I can't get it all at once lol.

Put the hammer back together as far as possible before I leave for 3 months for work. Hopefully I can make progress ordering or getting fabricated components while I'm away.

Any thoughts on what the toggle arms should be made from? Carbon steel or tool steel? I'm leaning towards carbon but have no experience.

20181014_175858.jpg

20181014_180216.jpg

Looking really good.  Toggle Arms, and the pins for the springs can be made from mild steel (c1018) or 4140.

BryanL, this looks really good.

I think, though, that since you're leaving in a few months for work, you should send this to me to keep for you. I won't even charge you rent. I am offering this out of the kindness of my heart as I am all about generosity and not merely covetous.

Srsly, thanks for sharing the pix. It's fun to see your progress.

CMS I think is correct, you probably have some leeway in what you use.

Being how old it is I’m sure originally it wasn’t anything exotic, probably something like 1035-45 at most.

Case hardened mild steel toggle  pins would wear hard and not crack like a through hardened carbon or tool steel might.

BTW your hammer is looking great, you have done a nice job restoring her. I really like the looks of the hammers  that use leaf springs,  they just seem more steam punkish ;-)