I Forge Iron

Champion No. 0 back to work

Put the hammer back together as far as possible before I leave for 3 months for work. Hopefully I can make progress ordering or getting fabricated components while I'm away.

Any thoughts on what the toggle arms should be made from? Carbon steel or tool steel? I'm leaning towards carbon but have no experience.

20181014_175858.jpg

20181014_180216.jpg

BryanL, this looks really good.

I think, though, that since you're leaving in a few months for work, you should send this to me to keep for you. I won't even charge you rent. I am offering this out of the kindness of my heart as I am all about generosity and not merely covetous.

Srsly, thanks for sharing the pix. It's fun to see your progress.

CMS I think is correct, you probably have some leeway in what you use.

Being how old it is I’m sure originally it wasn’t anything exotic, probably something like 1035-45 at most.

Case hardened mild steel toggle  pins would wear hard and not crack like a through hardened carbon or tool steel might.

BTW your hammer is looking great, you have done a nice job restoring her. I really like the looks of the hammers  that use leaf springs,  they just seem more steam punkish ;-)

• 1 month later...

My latest musing on the hammer is all about the power transmission. I am sitting in the airport delayed so I sketched it all out. 

I have the motor, secondary shaft and pillow blocks. Now I need to scrounge the V belt pulleys and make the flat belt pulley. Good thing I just acquired an old Dalton metal lathe, now I need to learn to use it by making a flat belt pulley. 

Bryan

20181126_152506.jpg

On 11/26/2018 at 12:32 PM, BryanL said:

My latest musing on the hammer is all about the power transmission. I am sitting in the airport delayed so I sketched it all out. 

I have the motor, secondary shaft and pillow blocks. Now I need to scrounge the V belt pulleys and make the flat belt pulley. Good thing I just acquired an old Dalton metal lathe, now I need to learn to use it by making a flat belt pulley. 

Bryan

20181126_152506.jpg

Fabricate one with pipe and plate ends machined to size. I'm looking on as I have a NO1 i'm rebuilding.

Hi Paul,

It was suggested to me recently to try machining the flat belt pulley from wood. Apparently that wasn't uncommon back in line shaft shops. I am now planning to that as it will be quicker and easier as I am more familiar with wood turning. 

I have a correction too, the original rpm on the Champion No. 0 was 400 not 200 as I wrote above. I will adjust for that. I should have a chance over the holidays to make strides getting the hammer running. 

Bryan

If you are going to make your own pulleys the taper is around 1 deg on each side so turn your pulley  parallel then turn each side until the cut comes close to the centre leaving a small parallel strip in the middle. Only one of each running pair needs a camber on it, the cambered pulley is not a must have but makes the belt run much better 

A steel post going up above the hammer with the electric motor and pulleys mounted on it makes for shorter drive belt length. I would increase the diameter of the V belt pulleys as well. A 2" pulley is really small, harsh radius that can lead to premature belt wear depending on the type of belt your using. Making the drive side flat belt pulley out of wood should be totally fine.  hitnmiss.com carries flat belt if you're looking for that too.