I Forge Iron

Welding on an S7 Face Plate

Vascowear is the brand name of a pretty popular (if that's the term I'm thinking of) grader edge. There are others but they're very similar. 

For such a mannerly fellow as yourself I think it is incumbent upon you, seeing as you've heard almost EXACTLY the same thing from two different people with no conflicts of interests that YOU are now the one elected to perform this important to the history and well being of blacksmithing world wide, experimental endeavor.

You have all that unused space your neighbor's tools and equipment are not occupying. I believe he I and all blacksmith kind will appreciate you putting all that area to good use in the advancement of the blacksmitherly arts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, dude, I'm a girl. With a hammer. And a lot of skill in setting things on fire. Not a fellow, at least, last time I checked, which I am not going to discuss further as this is a family-friendly sort of place.

And I won't go into my neighbor's shop without him because that's like wearing someone else's underwear---just wrong. Therefore, I am committed to the nomination and election of BIGGUNDOCTOR as the Marie Curie of this endeavor while I remain a lowly member of the peanut gallery.

My neighbor and I did discuss trying some test blocks as soon as he's up and about again, and I think that could be pretty fun. He has a kiln, so we don't have to commit to building one, and we have materials---and we don't have I can get from Whiteside, the scrapyard, which is like Disneyland for weirdos. 

P.S. My birthday is coming up and I will send you the list of acceptable gifts I'll let you buy for me. Please don't feel obligated to get me the most expensive thing---the second- or third-most expensive will be fine.

Ms. Ohio,

Please post your upcoming date of birth and gift wish list,  so that we can better determine whether we (I & possibly others), can afford your requested emoluments.

Any items over  $1,100,  we cannot afford.

Thank you, 

Dan,

Head panjandrum:   SLAG Industries L.L.C.

A ladysmith? COOL, you can be a fellow without oddness we don't want to explain. It's not really a gender based term though it was restricted in days of yore. The only thing that changes is how I joke on you, I'll have to come up with a new webhandle to start with, Ms. Kitty is suggested by your Avatar. 

Go ahead post a gift registry, I have to beg to get Deb to order anything online but I can put in an allowance request or maybe deform something myself. I don't order online, one comp system at risk is enough and hers is heavily laden with anti malware software. 

About the whole gender thing, are you reassigning Bigguns? You've dubbed him our Marie Curie for the experiment which I can go along with. After all his new webhandle is in your face obvious, just drop a G. BigUns isn't quite too PG for the forum and a good one.

Oh FYI, girls with hammers excite me. In a good way.

Frosty The Lucky.

October 12---mark the date! And get out your credit cards!

My list:

• Drag-capable Hypertherm plasma cutter
  • Lincoln stick welder and consumables
  • Oxy-acetylene set up because I should have one of these already and consumables
  • Spinning lathe---I have successfully spun an aluminum cat bowl, so I feel I am now an expert
  • Time (If I could save time in a bottle...hahaha, Jim Croce jokes never get old)
  • One of those hammers JLP made because it looks awesome

Maria Curie is someone for biggun to aspire to be as he does his brazing experiments. Work with me, Frosty. We volunteered him for this project and I'm pretty sure we can push him into actually doing it if we present a united front.

Serious now: I don't need birthday presents (<---lie) because I won't get any new tools until the shop is remodeled, which will be happening in fiscal year 2019. Then I will have a dedicated metalworking area for all my new stuff. In the meantime, I smith outside and make my own tools (badly) as I need them. I suck less at blacksmithing and welding than when I started, so that there is what we call progress. A few days ago I fabricated a crappy stand for my improvised anvil that actually works. No, I will not share a picture---it's so bad I rattlecanned it Rustoleum gray to hide my shame.

And my avatar is a cat named Vogelmann. He has since gone to that great Litter Box in the Sky.

Not a huge swing. Probably no more than 24", probably less. I do manual spinning now---I made some of tools (including the t-rest and wooden mandrels) and bought and handled some others. Not scissor tools, yet.

You showed me some pix of your dad's spinning work, especially one bowl he spun on air using two different metals that is amazing.

Not really Mike, we're just waiting for the OP to get involved in the post again. I answered the questions he posed as well as I could, if he asks for clarifications or more I'll elaborate if I can. I went to school to learn how to do that type welding and there are other details that might help but I'll stick with  live conversations. 

Do you have ideas, suggestions, questions, etc. Mike or just ghosting the topic?

Ohio: Do we know each other from the old spinning forum maybe? 24" swing is a pretty large lathe, scissor tools will REALLY be a benefit. Years ago I tried using my wood lathe but the motor is too wimpy heck the lathe is too wimpy. The machine lathe laughed at spinning but doesn't have much swing, 12" I think. 

I can't find the file I have those pictures in since the M$ up? grades itself no matter what I say and resets to defaults and rearranges things. Couldn't be the TBI . . . NAH, not that. 

As soon as I can con one of the electrician club members into telling me what I need and hooking up the cable I buried to the shop it'll be worth the effort to set up my lathe and such. I have a couple projects that just call out to be spun. Oh for the feel of a scissor tool handle in my arm pit. :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know, I just heard the term ghosting but it was regarding something else I think. We usually lurk.

I've been yakking hoping the OP returns with results from experiments or more questions or something. I'm interested too.

Doesn't get any friendlier John. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Do aluminum cats even need bowls?

I don't care what anyone says, JHCC, I think you're funny.

MotoMike, there are responses above from several people regarding baja's original question, including concerns about the approach---trying to get the MIG gun into the space, how to deal with the s7 warping, etc. BigGun and Frosty also suggested a different approach using brazing that really seems do-able. A quick review of the thread gives details on both the OP and this other approach.

Frosty, I use my mini-lathe with stick tools. I know a lot of people who use Powermatic wood lathes for spinning, but if I get a dedicate spinning lathe, 24" with scissor tools would be my absolute maximum.

• 7 months later...

The post you shared here is  very informative. Welding is a fabrication or sculptural process that joins materials, usually metals or thermoplastics, by using high heat to melt the parts together and allowing them to cool causing fusion. Welding is distinct from lower temperature metal-joining techniques such as brazing and soldering, which do not melt the base metal.

Edited by Mod30
remove commercial link

• 9 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, bajajoaquin said:

I've been dancing around what to do with anvils, since my Hill has beat up edges. Here are my questions: Am I likely to get sufficient penetration, or adequate fill with this method to be worth the effort, or am I looking at hours and hours of work to achieve a dull thud with little rebound?

I'm sorry for digging up an old post but I too am in the process of making an anvil. I'm curious how you finally fastened the top plate to the body... welding or solder?

Edited by Mod30
Trim excessive quote.