I Forge Iron

New Ridgid #165 or old PW #240 - which one?

Good day all

Purely hypothetical question that I'm sure has come up before but here goes anyway.

I feel that I have outgrown my #100 Vulcan and want to up grade to a bigger, better anvil. Lets say I had the money to swing the Ridgid but a good condition PW was available for the same price, which would you chose and why?

I really like ridgid shape and size and have read nothing but good things about them.

I like the age and heft of the  PW. Its not perfect with a few chips and dings but good rebound and no cracks etc.

Would #75 be a serious advantage over modern materials and configuration?,  would love to hear what you more experienced guys and gals have to say - thanks

Pete.

ME? I would buy the 200# JHM for the same price or bump up $100 and get the 260# JHM from Anvil Brand.

For me $1,200+ is too much for a 240# PW. I have a 138# PW and I have found them to be softer anvils. Mine has a divot near the horn, and you see many with swayed tops. I'm not complaining since I got mine for $100, but I would not have spent $400 for it either, because for $400 I could have outfitted a whole smithy and just gone with a bigger improvised anvil, or anvils. To me an anvil is just a lump of steel that you hammer other items upon. I don't get all hung up on makes or age. I do have some of the main anvil brands in my grouping; Fisher, Soderfors, PW, HB, and Vulcan, but I also have a new JHM which is a wonderful anvil. If I was starting from scratch with today's prices I would be all over improvising an anvil.

I would go with the Ridgid hands down. I have used both and prefer the shape of the Ridgid. Old anvils are overrated in my opinion. In my shop we have a 110 lb Vulcan, 106 lb Hay Budden, 90 lb MP Farriers and a 110 lb improvised (dozer part) anvils. All serve their purpose but to me the Ridid is more versatile.

Thanks for the info fellows,

I must say that im a little surprised that the extra wieght is not really a factor.

I have never struck on anything other than my vulcan or a 100 pound chunk of mild steel that I use when I worry about beating too hard on the vulcan.

I guess I thought the more mass the more metal moved.

Still doing research but plan to sell off an old hobby to fund a new anvil, I'm not broke by any means but I dont want spend more than I get from the M1 I want to sell

Gun show this weekend, we'll see,   havent been to a show in years but Ive heard prices are good for military weapons

It isn't the anvil that moves the metal it is the hammer. A 1# hammer used with a 500# anvil won't move as muchmetal as a 3# hammer on a 150# anvil.

M1 carbine or rifle? Personally I would hang onto it and look for another way to fund an anvil.... I like the sound of pew, pew, pew PING! as much as an anvil's ring :D

Thanks Das nice to hear and I really like the ridged shape and reputed quality.

Thanks Doc, its a winchester rifle I got form the CMP about 20 years ago and I hear you about the ping ooh-rah. I just dont shoot much anymore and I havent seen cheap or surplus ball in years. Im slowly eliminating my collection. I traded off the 1917 awhile ago but will keep my 1903a3 and of course the AR.

19 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I like the sound of pew, pew, pew PING! as much as an anvil's ring :D

If it's taking that many 'pews' before a PING then something is amiss.  

*insert joke making thinly veiled connection between hammer control and sight picture/trigger squeeze here*