I Forge Iron

Anyone got much experience of Habermann hammers?

Phantom309

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new toy. I've mainly been using a pretty standard German pattern cross pein hammer of a little over two lbs. It's fine but I'd like to try out something new and was looking for a Hofi or a Hofi-esque style hammer when I came across the Habermann hammer that Angele in Germany sell. I've done a little reading and site searching and while they crop up in conversation I've not read much in the way of opinion. I realize hammer preference is almost entirely subjective but was wondering what opinions people had about quality etc. I also notice they have a stainless steel version for a chunk more money (110 euro vs 62 euro for the standard) and was wondering what if anything made a stainless hammer better than a non-stainless one. I could go for a Hofi or the Hofi-esque one from Balbach Forge but i don't want to be rocking back and forth in a corner over how expensive they are if I decide I don't like it.

In other words, have a punt at a standard Habermann or save my pennies for something more expensive, which will obviously magically transform my forging into god-like perfection due to the hammer's inherent awesomeness?

While I have your attention, does anyone know of a place in the UK that makes rounding hammers other than farrier supply places? There was a chap on Ebay that sold a couple he made every so often but I've not seen any for a while now. Wotan Forge I think it was called.

8 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

I also notice they have a stainless steel version for a chunk more money (110 euro vs 62 euro for the standard) and was wondering what if anything made a stainless hammer better than a non-stainless one.

While I have your attention, does anyone know of a place in the UK that makes rounding hammers other than farrier supply places?

A hammer is just usually a lump of metal on a stick. Stainless steel is no better in use than a carbon steel one, just more flashy. It's the person wielding it that makes the difference, there is no magic in them.

Farrier supply places are the ones where you are likey to get a rounding hammer from, they don't usually make them, they factor them, just like Angele in Germany does. So don't rule them out

Typical farrier supply suppliers are http://www.cottamhorseshoes.com/49shoeturningham.html

They have a good range of reliable makers and prices.

Or you could come on one of our toolmaking courses at Westpoint and make your own

Good Morning, Phantom of the Hammera

One way to shed that fear. Make a Punch and a Drift, drill a couple pilot holes to keep you in center, Get on with the program.

All of a sudden, that wasn't so Hard!!!  Make a couple smaller Hammers first, maybe a couple repousse Hammers. All shapes and sizes are required, none too small, none too big, none with too weird of shape. Just like the 3 Bears, sometimes you need the itty bitty, just right, type of Hammer. Forget about magic sticks for handles, abra kadabra, you don't need to send them to school so the Hammer will work. The Computor Controller is between your Ears, it controls the Hard Drive at the end of your wrist. Digital Control, with your Digits. Just Maaaa-Jickle.

To start, first you must start!!!

Phantom - I have a Hofi hammer, and like it very much. Never tried a Haberman, but from the looks of it, seems it has the same main features as the Hofi - stubby head, square face with rounded corners (for fullering), and a short handle.

As for the price - Consider that the cost is not realy the price tag, but the differance between that tag and the cheap alternative (assuming you are set on buying something).

One thing that style of hammer (or hammering?) gave me, was the ability to increase the hammer weight. If you"re looking for a change, THIS is a good thing too look at.

48 minutes ago, lyuv said:

As for the price - Consider that the cost is not realy the price tag, but the differance between that tag and the cheap alternative (assuming you are set on buying something).

You're right, that's a better way of looking at it. I may try a basic Habermann in a heavier weight and let people know what I think after using it for a bit. It's a much more realistic and expedient option for me right now than forging my own, despite the pressure from some on here to do that.  I once crippled my arm for a week thrashing away at a piece of axle steel to make cut off tool and don't fancy trying to forge a 3lb+ hammer just yet. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Hofi.

12 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

if you need to use a better forge just ask, I have not made hammers but many do, I will look out for a rounding hammer and get back to you. one alternative would be to modify an ordinary hammer head to suit your needs

Thanks mate, I was just about to pm you on Glenn's recommendation as he said you are the purveyor of many interesting things. I have plans to build myself a better gas forge and am plumbing the depths of knowledge about burners and Frosty's NARB. I'm not desperate for a rounding hammer but would appreciate you keeping an eye out. I found a few on Etsy from eastern Europe, and I would rather give my money to a smith than a farrier supply shop, if that smith could be local (ie the UK) to me then all the better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Of course lots of folk here are going to suggest even encourage you to forge your own, we're blacksmiths, that's what we do. :)

I've used a Hofi type hammer once and liked it, just not enough to make one. What you're looking for is value before price. How you evaluate value is on your plate, we can't really do that. Unless you get a bad one, those are all high quality hammers designed and made by folks who have made their living with hammers. Whatever hammer you decide on there will be a learning curve, it's going to take time and practice for you to develop the techniques that make the hammers perform.

Just take it easy to start, you don't want to re-injure yourself. Rounding hammers are quickly becoming front line blacksmith hammers because they work very well, I have a couple and they're ALWAYS in the rack on my anvil stand right next to the cross pein and drill hammer. 

If possible get together with other smiths and try their tools before you decide on one. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.