I Forge Iron

Hi from the Highlands

Thady

Hi all. I am located near Nairn in the Highlands of Scotland. Like a lot of people recently bing watching FIF has really got me hooked on the idea of forging and smithing. I have recently managed to acquire a 230lb Peter wright anvil in reasonable shape and i am currently building a propane forge with an Amal Gas injector burner. 

I am quite interested in hearing from anyone localish to me.

Welcome to the mad house

FIF is more entertainment than blacksmithing

for instructional vids try people like Joey van de steeg ( technicus joe ) and several others on you tube

avoid anything by king of random as his aims seem to be to get people a darwin award ( dangerous and dumb )

if in doubt ask here first

in your forge dont have exposed ceramic fibers, they are like asbestos and need coating if you like using your lungs

im more local than some here but still a long way south of you.

I have sent quite a few forges to scotland and one to shetland even ( I make solid fuel forges ), the furthest one has gone is new zealand

Thanks. I gathered really quickly that FIF is entertainment but it did start a bit of an obsession. I have been watching a few videos and have read a book. I made a knife a few weeks ago using a fire brick make shift forge and a heat gun which i melted, also an old maul head for an anvil. i cant wait to use a real anvil and forge. 

I have Vitcas 1700 castable refractory and 25mm 1250c wool. i am very nervous about lining the forge and have no idea how easy the refractory is to work. I fully plan on wearing a decent face mask and long sleeves. 

Good Morning,

Welcome.

You will learn that when you are building a Forge, there is no 'wrong' way. There may be 'better' ways that you will learn along the way.

Pickup some 'Modeling Clay' or 'Plasticene' or 'Play-Doh'. This will allow you to make something with your hands and then you can make it with your Forge and Anvil. The material moves identical to how metal moves when it is Hot, except you can manipulate it with your hands and/or all your other Blacksmith Tools. It is a great tool, to learn the procedure. The bonus is that when you are done, you can scrunch it up and form it into the size of material that you have, to find out how much material you will need (always add some extra. scale loss, OOPs, just because).

I recommend you start by making your own Tools. Start small and work your way through. This way you will learn procedure, with a bonus of having something useful. I think of it as 'Positive' results. Don't worry about making it perfect, make it functional. You will learn the small steps to make it 'Nice' as you go. There are very few 'Rules', but one lesson is, when you are drawing something out (making a larger thing smaller and longer), use the 'Rule', Square, Octagonal, Round (S.O.R). We can turn our tong hand a quarter turn, this makes 'Square'. Then knock the corners of the 'Square' and this makes 'Octagon'. Then with light blows you can make it 'Round'. If you are starting with Round Material or Square/Rectangular Material, this Rule applies. If you want to finish Square/Rectangular, this Rule also applies except you don't have to go Round at the end. Picture manipulating the Play-Doh in your fingers, you go Square first. Simple!!

Enjoy the Journey,

Neil

Thank you for taking the time to write that Neil! I am now going to do exactly that! I have a couple of massive lorry leaf springs and a couple of old axe heads i am going to turn into some hardy tools .

I think the first thing i am going to do is heat random bits of metel. Try forge welding, quenching tempering and breaking to see grain, To get a feel for how steel behaves at different temps. I have a cheap k type thermocouple coming not sure if it is any good though only paid £20. It says it goes to 1400c 

Good Morning,

Forget about the details, forget about starting with Forge Welding. Start with making some "S" Hooks, draw the ends out SOR, make little piggy tails and then shape the piece into an "S". When you have the little piggy tail on the end, before you shape the "S", quickly quench the tip for a couple seconds in water, then you can hammer on the piggy tail without it deforming. Maa-Jickle. Do it again but square the shank between the "S" now give it a twist when the shank is red hot. You may have to quench each end so you can twist it.

Enjoy the Journey....

Neil