I Forge Iron

Cast steel ASO

Not too long ago I found an old cast steel bar buried near a house. This bar is about 5" square and 20" long with a loop at the end and a broken section at the rear. I asked around about what it was and the best answer I've gotten is that it's some sort of counter weight. I've used this as an ASO without much issue. Is there someone who may know what this piece actually is and wether it's safe to use while forging?

We won't remember that once we leave this thread, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show your location as so many answers depend on it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

BTW welcome to IFI and pictures would help with identification of your improvised anvil.

It makes a dull Thur when struck though it doesn't dent too easily. I also have a small section of rail that gives far more when I work with it. I recently re measured it and it comes out to 8x8x46 cm my initial estimation was a little generous. As of now its about 23 kg.