I Forge Iron

Shop upgrades, guest teaching, and gallery submission requests

TheoRockNazz

Been a while since I posted - been busy upgrading the shop!

I've been teaching full time about a year now and thought it was time to step things up a level. Expanded my area and finally have it's confines clearly defined so I can settle in. Still tweaking things, but I am very happy so far, the flow is much better. 

Now I feel comfortable offering teaching opportunities for my fellow bladesmiths interested in vising us in The Big Apple. If this sounds like fun to you please reach out to me for more information on how this would work. Mace Vitale has already started the process and Walter Sorrells and I have been plotting, I hope to have them scheduled for later this year (or early next year). 

Lastly, the front hallway/entrance to the forge has been turned into a small gallery of student, teacher, and local bladesmiths to show off their wares. I want to include work from anyone interested in displaying their blades - we get lots of eyes on them via walk-ins and students. I do not plan on selling blades for other smiths, but send lots of cards for people to take so I can help arrange sales. Currently it's just the 3 cases (bolted to the table), but I am picking up some sword sized as well.

Always looking for input on everything,
Theo

20180905_174627.jpg

20180905_174621.jpg

20180905_164133.jpg

20180905_164109.jpg

20180905_164017.jpg

20180905_163303.jpg

20180905_164229.jpg

There is lots of room for erasable boards on the walls. different colour chalk or markers makes some of your details stand out.

Start with Safety and Expectations. I have been teaching for over 18 years, make it a point that there will be NO EXAMS. The best examiner is the Class, what do the peers think. Does it past the 'Braille Test'? When you close your eyes and run your hand around the creation, does it create 'Red Paint' (blood)? The only students that required a result MARK, were sent by the Government (Armed Forces). Everyone passes. Make it a stern, but jovial, Class. What would you feel like if you are criticized all the time, the same with students. Positive reinforcement!!

Neil

A shop can never have too many sources of light, especially when it gets crowded with tools (over time) and bodies (during class). Walk up to a work station. Does your being there cast a shadow on the work? Do you constantly find yourself having to twist your body, or actually move to examine something adequately? You need more and better lights.

As far as teaching techniques: EDGE and Oreo. Educate, Demonstrate, Guide, Encourage, in that order. (Google it.)

Oreo means sandwich a critique between two compliments, not just drop a criticism and walk away. "Nice point, the edge is a little thin to heat treat well, good transition to the tang."

Best of luck, young man.