I Forge Iron

I'm in hot water

MotoMike

recovering from my surgery, doing my PT. even a little more as suggested.    not violating my restrictions.  the doc said, no bending the hip less then 90 degrees, no turning the surgical leg inwards and no crossing of the legs.  beyond that if I can tolerate it, I can do it.  Well  Mrs. Moto caught me dropping an oxy tank into its  cart yesterday and she blew a gasket.  I showed her that the walker was right there in easy reach.  She is just now starting to talk to me again.  my explanations are not seeming to work she doesn't even want me in the garage....  live and learn...

Better safe than sorry MM.  From what I've researched, the bone hasn't yet fused into the device so there's always a chance of something going wrong.  You know what though, I'm the same way and will probably get the evil eye like you are after my hip replacement :D  Just be safe, I'd hate to see something go wrong for it to set you back from getting in the shop.

Moto

That sounds SO familiar and it probably won't be the last time.  My wife about drove me crazy ( they only do that because they care ).  Do your PT and walk is what they told me.  Year and a half after, I picked up a hundred pound block in the shop tonight correctly.  You know I was well past 90.  Ya just can't break all three restrictions at the same time...ever!  You'll feel like a new man in no time.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Modern bone cements are amazing (yes they can glue you back together) but they aren’t as strong as bone and they had to cut mucle and stretch ligaments to get that hunk of titanium and plastic in there. Butt more importantly making the missus mad at you is detrimental to your all around wellbeighn

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Daswulf said:

Any stronger kids around you can pay to do the heavier lifting?  ...

That is a possibility but I'm so cynical after 22 years as a copper that I'd not be willing to invite young heavy lifters into my smithy to case the joint help out.   My son in law helps when needed though. 

Iron Dragon, I know that is true.  

Pappy,  I know.  I am now almost off the cane.  I can do all my PT and have started the stationary bicycle for two sessions a day.  Went for a short hike with my 3 year old grandson yesterday.  off the pain meds for a couple weeks now and have done my last anti clotting med as well.  

Charles, I  know it's true about the modern materials.  no plastic in my appliance. also true about the cutting and stretching.  one of the nurses told me it was her job to hold my ankle by my ear.    my two week check up has removed my restrictions with the exception of running and jumping.  there was no danger of those violations I can assure you.  I can do what I can tolerate.   But a week ago, I waited until the wife was away for the day to work on my lawn tractor which had developed an electric problem.  why they felt it nessessary to hide the fuse on the frame rail under the battery box below the fenders is beyond me.  It involved a lot of crawling around to find and fix.  She would not have been happy, but I got er done.  

Thomas you make me sound like a wimp. 

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.  much appreciated.

Papy  

This is my second replacement.  the other one was done 7 years ago.  I did a lot of research back then including the videos.  rather gruesome.  I did not do it this time.  but the images were still in my head.  I can walk farther now while still hurting a bit in recovery than I could before the procedure.  

Ahhh, I LOVE silly suggestions!

How about getting naked in a biker bar, calling them names, while throwing rotten fruit and knocking over their beverages? Sure it'll mean a lifetime of agony too but it'll only last a couple minutes. 

Frosty The Lucky.

So yesterday I went in for the second 6 week check up after Achilles tendon and tarsal tunnel surgery. Started out " I'll have you back on your feet in two weeks" after surgery it was pushed back to 4 weeks non-weight barring.  At the first 6 week check up everything was looking good and sent to PT, and told "Achilles tendon could take up to 6 months to heal properly".  Made sense to me.  Yesterdays check up went ok, "coming along splendidly the tendon has almost completely grown back".  I said "grown back?"  you originally said had to go in peel back the tendon to get access to the 4 pieces of bone growing inside of and fold the tendon back in place.  OHHHH no no he said, "the bone  had grown within as part of the tendon and had to remove up to half the tendon as the x-ray showed".   On top of this new revelation he said I should be back to old self again in a year.  Im thinking to myself, really,not 6 months like originally discussed?    Any ho,, the PT therapist is a cute sweet girl and gives awesome Achilles tendon and ankle massages as a warm up to the PT.   Last fall I went to PT for 3 months in an effort to work out and correct the issues.  Didn't work thus the surgery,  I submitted the mileage for PT and doctors visits from last fall and received the check .  I am considering it surplus funds .  Although I have already cut open a 20# propane cylinder and made a couple burners, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a built gas forge either chili or a diamondback.  Ive been called tighter than bark on a hickory tree but I may be able to talk myself into it.