I Forge Iron

Start learning again

Glenn

As summer 2018 comes to a close and the kids start back to school, what better time to start learning again. 

Learning can be fun so challenge yourself to choose ONE thing and learn about it, and learn how to do it. It does not matter what you learn, just that the knowledge gets you out of your box and out of your comfort zone.

This summer I researched how to stack firewood. I wanted to find something that was different from what I have been doing for years, and maybe would work better. Things such as long row stacks, round stacks, wood sheds and etc.

At the forge it was time to rethink how I was doing things and if I had the work triangle set as a good position for me. That meant moving the forge, anvil, vise and work table so there was a single step or a step and a half to go from one to another. Next was where to put the tools needed for that project so they were always at hand. Next is to continue to train my off hand to use a hammer better, to learn how to move metal better and faster with each hammer blow, etc 

How to get the most mileage out of the car and truck. Simple things like air pressure in the tires, new air filter, unload the excess weight from the trunk that is not needed, take a different or shorter route, combine trips, and pay attention to starts and stops while driving. 

The idea is to get out of your box, out of your comfort zone, and learn something new.

What is on your list to learn? 

Time management is a biggie for me. Household chores, farm chores, miscellaneous chores. And my MIL depends on me a lot as she doesn't get around very well. Now working in forge time. Seems like everything is on a time constraint, which is common to everyone I'm sure. Just figuring it out a little at a time

I love to learn new things.

On my list is to learn to successfully cast brass and bronze for knife hardware using the lost wax (or in this case "lost 3d printer resin") method. I'm in the middle of that. I have a few casts - one with wax was successful, two with 3d printer castable resin not successful. I'm thinking part of the problem is I have the wrong investment; another part is not having the brass melt at a high enough temperature. More attempts this weekend. I've spent the last 3 months learning to get a successful 3D print with the castable resin, so now on to the casting part of that process.

Another thing then to learn is leatherworking, so I can make knife sheaths.

And continue my forging, pattern welding, grinding, heat treating, forge building, burner tuning, metallurgy education.

And on a completely unrelated subject, it's the time of the season to continue learning the craft of canning and pickling.