I Forge Iron

What is this and what is it made of?

Awrksmokey

I was magnet fishing in the lake near my house and I picked up these, there is a railroad on the side of the lake if that helps. I don’t know what other details to put in, but if you have more questions just ask!  What are they, and what are they made of? Some peices look a bit wood-grainy, which I have seen in a YouTube video but I forget which one.

thanks,

Awrkiron 

image.jpg

Real Wrought Iron; the primary metal used by the Blacksmith until the Bessemer/Kelly process started taking over in the mid 19th century; used longer in certain cases along the seaboard.

It is a composit material composed of a usually clean iron matrix with ferrous silicate (slag) spicules distributed in that matrix.  It comes in various grades with the coarser ones having more entrained slag and larger spicules and the finer grades having less total slag and finer spicules (but maybe more smaller ones per square inch)

The "wood grain" rusting and "greenstick" fracture are good indicators of an item being real Wrought Iron.  Note it works differently in the forge than modern steels.