I Forge Iron

wrought hook

Recently I was in Door County Wisconsin.  Stopped by the Maritime Museum at Gill's Rock, (AKA Deaths Door)  Outside this hook caught my eye.  do you think it is wrought?  was it the product of a steam hammer?   You can still see hammer marks on it.  for scale, that it 5/4"x6" deck boards below it.  

kangaroo-7.jpg

kangaroo-2-3.jpg

kangaroo-3-3.jpg

I would say Yes: the grain pattern visible on the side of the eye and on some of the chain links is pretty typical of WI. 

Maritime ironwork that's exposed to salt air and ocean spray shows this kind of pattern even more vividly.

They are fun to make. I've made them from 3/4" square stock. 

There is a good lesson on making these in Schwartzkopf's book

"Plane and ornamental forging", Ernst Schwarzkopf (Author)

This book was used by the NYC school system as their blacksmithing course around 1900. Its avalable in many places.

5197KVqfLEL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Motomike.. It's kind of an inside joke.. Internal that is.. 

Anvil, that is a great book..  I love it mentions using weights as an easy way to figure out estimated sections and it conviently mentions this like very early on.. LOL..    

Probably one of the better books I have seen in awhile for guts information..  

I had or have a copy of this book somewhere..  My copy was red though..  Great book..  Thanks for sharing it.. 

10 hours ago, arkie said:

Steamboat, Wow! Great book! Thanks a million for posting the link.

Glad the link was helpful. And thanks to Anvil and Jennifer for suggesting and endorsing the book. I hadn't seen it before and I've already found some useful material in it.

The section on building a chain hook with a swivel looks like a particularly challenging exercise.

Al (Steamboat)