I Forge Iron

Cast Iron Kettle

Repairing cast iron is an old-school trick that few young welders have even seen done. If the person that you talk to just wants to MIG it with common wire, or even Stick weld it with stainless rod, run, don't walk away.  

The whole unit has to be pre-heated to several hundred degrees, then welded (by one of a couple of alternative processes) then wrapped in hi-temp insulation and slowly cooled at least overnight. Longer is better, but hardly anyone has a digital heat treatment oven that big. And yes, time and expertise are money, good welders get $25/hour after expenses. Great ones get double that.

If you want to return it to food service use, it could be welded by a gas torch and cast iron rods for an invisible repair. Arc welding with 99% nickle rods would show up silver on black, but would be food safe. My Scout troop has been using a pot repaired this way for 40+ years of fish fries and spaghetti suppers.

Lastly, it could be made water-tight, but not necessarily food safe by mending the cracks with silicon bronze rod and a gas torch. Again, it would show up as gold (eventually green) on black.

The Metal Museum in Memphis, TN has a Repair Day each fall where people bring things in for work by experts.

Nikita: Where are you? This forum has something like 47,000 members in more than 150 countries around the world. Without knowing where you are we can't tell you where to take it. If you're within visiting distance of me I'll do it for you but you'll have to buy the cast iron rod. 

I'd have to see examples of their repairs or talk to the guy in the welding shop before I decided if they knew what they were doing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Like Frosty said, where you are located would help with answers. Also a picture of the kettle and break plus the dimensions and what you use the kettle for (cooking, yard art etc). We have a very large kettle in the front yard hanging from a tripod, weighs about 100 pounds and 36 inches in diameter.

I always suggest this thread to get the best out of IFI and welcome to the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

• 4 years later...

Hello folks, 

I’m in search of a welder to weld a cracked antique cast iron cauldron. Not going to use it for cooking but I am going to keep water in it for a duration of 10 hrs or so. Am hoping that once it’s welded I could still hear a ring in when I tap it. I’m willing to pay for your welding services. 
Thank you 

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming, USA.  Glad to have you.

We can't really comment until we know where in the world you are.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Lithiuania, Louisiana, or Lesotho.

A good welding shop, wherever you are, should be able to weld or braze a cracked cast iron cauldron.  Call around or visit.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 5 months later...

Hello from Austin, Texas.  My wife inherited a cast iron kettle from her grandma.  One year old "puppy" saw it on the stove and wanted what was in it.  No people or animals were hurt during this incident, but the kettle has a crack in it.

If y'all could refer me to someone with the skills to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to see if I can't get it fixed and returned to her.  

Thanks;

Ed

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

A competent welder should be able to weld or braze cast iron using the correct technique and rods.  I would call local welding shops and discuss the matter with them.  It will leave a bead along the crack but it will be functional.  The bead could be camoflaged with paint, gun blue, or soot (stove black).  If it is only going to be used for decor/decoration you could use epoxy (longer set times are stronger) on the inside.  You might want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from propogating further.

I understand about puppies.  We have a 7 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and, fortunately, he is small enough that he cannot reach things on the stove or counter.  The coffee table is in range but we keep a pretty close eye on him.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."