I Forge Iron

going in for a titanium hip

MotoMike

Thanks Spanky.  It is true.  Now that all seems in order, it is a relief.  I'll admit to being a bit nervous pre op, but it had caused me to fall down a couple times and the pain was up there.  Even with the surgical pain, I have more range of motion than I did a few days ago.    

Looks like you went the resurfacing route instead of the hip replacement if that's the device you had put in.  My boss had that done and the recovery is much faster than the full replacement so I'm glad to hear you made it through ok.  I hear that working hard and doing all the PT is really beneficial to a better recovery.  My boss has to have his blood monitored every year because the device can cause issues with the cobalt.

MC yep a resurface which I think is somewhat a misnomer.  the procedure is more invasive than the traditional because the tools need more room to get in there to do the work. the Bronco Nagurski looking nurse told me that his job was to hold my ankle by my ear.   Everything I've seen indicates the traditional is a faster recovery.  but the traditional has restrictions that extend beyond recovery.  The traditional has a small plastic ball and socket or plastic/ceramic.  They are more prone to dislocation and you have range of motion restrictions.   I'm at the age where they don't like to do this one, or I should say the insurance companies don't like to do this one as the appliance itself costs 3 times as much.  .  this is a repair that youngsters who are active would typically get.  The Sports model if you will;)

So are you working on your story about how you sharpened the horn of your anvil to a fine point and then one day when moving in a hurry to the vise rammed  your haunch on it  leaving the excessive scar? Or going for the standard "I slipped in the shower; that will teach me to wear my combat knives while bathing!"

The sharp anvil horn story is always a good one but how about the one where you forgot to take the hardy off the anvil and sat down?

It's going on 9 years and I still get THE reaction when I tell people I was almost killed by a great white . . . . birch. Heck I got the cute EMT at the fair first aid instruction booth to feel my head dent. Some one liners never die. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm way too young for the hip replacement as well and I could go with the resurfacing to preserve my activity level.  I think I'll make myself a really cool cane to use after the walker can be set aside.  MM I hope the recovery goes well and that you are back to hammering soon. 

What amazed me is that when I questioned my surgeon about everything surrounding my procedure he said it was only 30 minutes!  All he does is hips, so his team is really sharp.  He's a no nonsense English guy who actually took the time to answer my pages of questions and grilling over on the device, procedures, etc.   

I like it a lot.  I'm in and out of metal detectors for work so they'd probably take issue with it but I could pull a Gandalf and say:

"Oh, you wouldn't deprive an old man of his walking stick." (of course I'm not old man so it may not work)

The guys and gals at the magnometers are really bored so they really look at things.  I have a fisher cat paw attached to my keys and they were looking it over really well and asked me about it.  I told them my favorite cat Lucky got hit by a car and I wanted something to remember him by.  The female officer got this look on her face :D I let it sit out there for a little bit to enjoy the moment and then told them what it really was.  The female still won't touch it when I go through.

I think they pick the new guys to wand me down after the Metal Detectors at the Factory; just as a hazing ritual, (for them).  I wear an insulin pump and so get told I have to take my cell phone off and put it in the basket when going through the metal detectors.  They get embarrassed when I show them it's hooked into me and I've learned the Spanish for it: "bomba de insulina" something we never covered in 8th grade Spanish class.  I get hassled for my medic alert tags too.  I'm lucky that most all of the other metal that's been stuck into me has come back out, generally without a lot of fuss and bother.

I'm told I'll get a card for the magnometers when I get my hip replaced so that I don't get harassed too badly.  I used to smile because I've had 6 inch flint blades in my pocket to show coworkers and walked right on through because obviously there's no metal in it.   

On 8/27/2018 at 1:01 AM, Frosty said:

I got the cute EMT at the fair first aid instruction booth to feel my head dent. Some one liners never die. :)

Reminds me how when they sewed up the gash in my left palm, I was torn between wanting to scream with pain and wanting to impress the extremely cute ER doctor with my stoicism.

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I get hassled for my medic alert tags too.

A friend of mine has one of those that says, "I am a Quaker. In case of emergency, please be quiet."

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Reminds me how when they sewed up the gash in my left palm, I was torn between wanting to scream with pain and wanting to impress the extremely cute ER doctor with my stoicism.

I have a silly high pain threshold and the few times I've needed stitches or the therapy on my elbow I've found myself reassuring the doc or therapist. Now if the ER doc were cute lady I could've managed some tears needing comfort but no luck. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Uh HUH. The doctor who removed the catheter from my stomach was fun to talk with, he had a Great Pyrenees Mountain Dog and we swapped some stories while he tried (futilely) to get the bulb on the end of the catheter to deflate. THEN he said, "hold on, this is going to hurt. . . a LOT." and jerked it out. It hurt alright but it was so refreshing to have a medical pro. tell the truth. I was more than okay with it 

NO, you aren't going to feel a "pinch" when they poke a needle into you, nor any of the other things they say to try and fool you into thinking this isn't going to hurt. The Endoscope isn't going to, "MIGHT cause some discomfort,:o The farther they go the more it HURTS. 

After all these years I have the nurses at my endocrinologist's office trained to just stick me, it's okay. 

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, SpankySmith said:

Doctors to remove stitches, JHCC?!  Wimp.  That's why God made needle-nose pliers. 

What can I say: I was young and hoping to see the original doctor.

And I've removed all my own stitches ever since.

John,

Have those medical mavens not heard of local,  (topical),  anesthesia? 

Oh wait.  I get it!   It has finally donned on me, they are sadists.

Next time, I suggest a subcutaneous shot of novocaine,   (xylocaine,  etc.)  to forestall the potential, forthcoming melodrama.

Ms. Spanky Smith suggested using "God-made",  needle nose pliers to remove said stitches.  A smith should always use "smith-made",  pickup tongs:

methinks.

Just my two cents.

SLAG.

I have had both hips done as full replacements. got the card from the surgeon that says what was done.  TSA  geeksw dont pay any attention to the card and  shunt you off for the full patdown and wand  treatment.  just so you know.  Smokey