I Forge Iron

1095.  First attempt at a copper 8nlay.  It worked better than I had hoped for a first attempt.  Taken down to 800 grit with purple heart handle.

Was made for a gamer friend with cancer.  His gamer tag is Bhear.  The inlay is bhear in nordic runes.

20180819_150139.jpg

20180819_150125.jpg

20180819_150118.jpg

Here's another way of  doing a very  similar job, but technically it is not an inlay. 

First cut the design into the work, then heat the work to a dull red and apply some flux (borax, borax acid combination, or any forge welding flux) and then place some small scraps of copper or brass over the carved design, reheat and reflux  and bring the whole thing up to heat. You will see the brass or copper liquefy and flow filling the carving. When it cools you can file or grind it flat  until the brass or copper that was proud of (above) the carved image is removed. Whatever flowed into the carved image will be brazed to the underlying steel. Brass melts at around 1700 degrees and copper melts at around 1900 degrees F.  Both well within the temperature for forging steel .

I have used brass from rifle cartridges and it works and looks very nice.  It's pretty easy and should work every time, but It would be a good idea to practice on a few pieces of scrap