I Forge Iron

A new anvil

I called my local pawn shop and talked to a guy about an anvil he had, he didn't really give me any details other than that it was a arm and hammer, so I knew right away I had to go check it out. Turns out it was a 140 pounder and he told me 250$ and it's yours. So I got it out of the pawn shop and brought it home. It seems like the previous owner made some additions, or it was abuse, I'm not really sure. I appreciate the help.

IMG_20180818_163152.jpg

IMG_20180818_160100.jpg

IMG_20180818_163206.jpg

IMG_20180818_160016.jpg

IMG_20180818_160222.jpg

IMG_20180818_160109.jpg

Do you have better pics of the face? Especially the slot behind the step and the two angled "features?" coming off the hardy hole's corners. 

Some marks are wear marks others are intentional features to do specific jobs.

Have you done a rebound test?

Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't done a rebound test yet but I will definitely let you all know when I do. And the slots I'm very unsure about. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you have better pics of the face? Especially the slot behind the step and the two angled "features?" coming off the hardy hole's corners. 

Some marks are wear marks others are intentional features to do specific jobs.

Have you done a rebound test?

Frosty The Lucky

2 hours ago, MC Hammer said:

I believe the arm and hammers were made by Trenton.  Let us know what the results of the ball bearing rebound test are.  The rebound test lets us know how hard the face is.

MC I'm afraid they were made by Arm and Hammer a Competitor  to Trenton.  To be clear Arm and Hammer anvils were made by Columbus anvil and forging Co. and Trenton anvils were made by Columbus Forge and Iron Co.

Sharing the same town  and forging them freehand with the steam hammers; I'd suspect that some of the workers migrated between the various shops.  They did like the elongated horn and heel style that I find very nice for ornamental work.  (My 91# A&H has a heel you could almost shave with; it generally sits right next to my 469# Fisher which has a heel thicker than some anvil faces are wide...)