I Forge Iron

"Charcoal," she retorted

• 4 years later...

Generally when the smoke clears of flames stop coming out the vent you shut down the air and let the charcoal cool. As to fuel, generally about 1/2 as much as The wood your converting with other styles, it mite be less with the rocket stove. 

Edited by Mod34
Removed duplicate text

For this design, assume it will take a minimum of 3 hours once the pyrolization starts. I will go to 4 hours after pyrolization just to be sure, but usually, I have to feed fuel to the rocket stove for the last 45 minutes or so. Then I close up the lower opening with mineral wool and let it sit overnight before opening the barrel. The material is often a mix of hard and softwood, and usually dry. Assume wet (fresh) wood, like tree limbs, etc., will take longer for the moisture to cook off. I haven't done that, so I don't know how long that would take to complete the process.

I think you'll have to try different times for different materials to get what you want.

Thanks for reviving the thread; I'd forgotten what an amusing and informative read the OP was.

I'm still thinking about making something like this, especially since I picked up a whole lot of kaowool from the industrial surplus place. Thanks as well for the reminder.