I Forge Iron

Sacramento, Ca newb

racman125

Hello All,

My name is Rich and I am not only new to the forum but new to smithing as a whole.

Im currently trying to locate either an anvil or RR track. Then will progress to the forge itself. Looking for Smith's in my area to help find resources and mentoring.  

In Sacramento you have a TON of options for improvised anvils with the industrial complex up there. If the scrap yards like Sims metals won't sell to the public start hitting up the guys hauling scrap, or the companies themselves. Contact heavy equipment rental/repair yards, tractor repair, paving companies, and earth moving equipment shops and ask if they have any scrap forklift forks, large bucket pins, shafts, hydraulic breaker points, blocky steel shapes, etc. I don't remember if Sac still had any railroad repair facilities but if they do hit them up for an old coupler, or axle. basically look for any business that has big machinery. The bakery I work for now has mixers that will do up to 1,000# of dough at a time,and we replace drive shafts that are good steel and 2.75" diameter, along with big #80-3 drive chains, etc.. Get creative, and start asking around. Many times they will give you a chunk of scrap. If they do, make sure to thank them in some way.

Sometimes you will get farther if you actually show up to a scrapyard and talk to the guys at the scales directly instead of talking with an office minion. Be dressed appropriately ; jeans, boots, gloves, safety vest if you have one, and a hardhat and explain what you are looking for. Many times they have items presorted - I have seen piles of just forklift forks, pipe, etc.. The yard I went to here in Las Vegas let us roam around with the cautionary note of stay away from the cranes, if you find something you can't just pick up, point it out and we will get it. When we were done they came by with the magnet, picked up the pile for us, and set it next to my truck for loading. We weighed inbound, and outbound, and payed $15 for 900# of steel.

For specialty items you can hit up Blue Collar Supply. They had drops and off cuts from various shops.

I grew up down the road in Fairfield and spent a lot of time running around parts of Sac.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for the reply,

I'm going to pick up 3 large segments or rr track tomorrow morning. I've seen lots of videos online about the "shaping"  is it really necessary? Does one truly need a horn? I'm worried I might moof it up

Hi Raceman, I would suggest that you just use your rr track as you get it. There are a lot of basic forging techniques you can practice without any time spent "shaping". if you have a short piece stand it on end, tie it down, and forge on it that way. Remember the only place you will be moving metal is between the face of your hammer and whatever surface your material is laying on.  Take the time to go thru the links Glenn sent you. Good luck, be safe, show us your results. Al

Another advantage of using your RR track without modification is that you can always make changes once you have experience working with it and actually know what you need, rather than copying someone else's (dubious) ideas. 

Racman125; can you tell me if I need a commuter car, a 15 passenger van; or a dump truck?  Kind of hard to tell without knowing how I plan to use the vehicle. As  to giving the answer to: "Does one truly need a horn?"; well it's: Yes, No, Maybe depending on what YOU plan to do and how YOU plan to do it.   I do quite a bit of smithing on a cube of steel with a spike, what I call my Y1K anvil; when I was doing a lot of bending I made a stake anvil to use in conjunction with it, (I'll have to add the stake anvil picture when I get home.)

Y1Kanvil2.jpg..thumb.jpg.438d3cb76d066deaa46fd58f640c829f.jpg