I Forge Iron

Fisher anvil... first anvil

Found this fisher anvil for sale. Seller says it's a 150lb anvil and he wanted $1000 right from the beginning. So far I talked him down to $750. He says its stamped may 13, 1884. I'm located in nevada. What do you guys suggest? Would be my first anvil.

P.s. sorry for posting so many post lol 

received_205455286991870.jpeg

received_472424999903395.jpeg

Hmm...is that really a Fisher? I'm not the expert (that would be njanvilman), but that looks to me like a horseshoe on the side rather than the Fisher & Norris eagle. That also could be a casting void on the bottom, which would be a real issue, regardless of maker.

Doesn't look like any Fisher I've ever seen. I would be wary of any anvil with the face plate hanging over the body of the anvil. One piece cast, not a welded on face plate. No way of knowing what the cast material is till you see it in person but my money is on good ole cast iron boat anchor. On the other hand. I've never seen an ASO with a clip horn.

There is a Fisher farrier anvil with the horseshoe on the side.  I believe there's a picture in AIA.  I did a quick google search and found a few that look just like this one.  If it were me, go look at it but bring that ball bearing and test it.  I can see the faint line of a hard steel face on it and Fishers always were made with the look as if the face plate were an inch thick.  If it's a cast of an original Fisher it will not have good rebound most likely.  Ask permission to wire brush that face before testing with the ball bearing.    NJAnvilman will know more if he chimes in.

At $5 per pound that's pretty steep and the anvil should be nearly perfect for that price.  It looks like it's in great condition, but I'm not sure it's in $5 per pound condition.  That's up to you though.  If you have the money and it tests good with the ball bearing there's nothing wrong with paying up or overpaying.  What I hate to see is people overpaying for substandard anvils.  This one looks like a great one though.  Let us know how it turns out - don't be shy and feel like you are bugging us.  You are just trying to find that first anvil and we've all been there.  You are being careful, and I think that shows you have been reading and understanding the process.  You've also been listening to those with more experience.  I hope this one works out for you.  I'd offer him $500 to start and then let him take you to $600.  $4 per pound in your area isn't too bad for an anvil in great condition.

PS, looks like the Fisher symbol should be in the middle of the horseshoe....look for that.  Also, I can see 150 stamped on the foot so it does appear it is 150 lbs.

For $750 you can buy a brand new anvil in the 125# range. Anvil Brand sells JHM anvils and I have one of the Journeyman models.

Also look through the improvised anvil thread. 200# of scrap steel will run around $50 or less. Don't get me wrong, I love my 260# Fisher, but for that price you have a lot of other less costly options.

Frankly I don't see you getting US$900+ more utility out of it than a good improvised anvil.   It's folks thinking they *must* have a london pattern anvil to do smithing that are fueling this anvil price bubble.  (And thinking that a "fancy anvil" will somehow make them a better smith...)

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate the feedback. I guess it doesnt make sense to spend that much money on an anvil when I guess I could buy a new. I know it would be nice having something that has been around for a while but obviously not necessary. I just thought being a Fisher it would be a little more pricey giving how popular they are. I'll make a offer but I doubt he will take it. He message me after I posted this saying that if I didn't bring 750 I would be wasting my time going to see/test it. 

Spoke to the seller and told him that I wasn't willing to pay $750 even if the anvil was in a good condition. Also told him if he drop the price to a reasonable price I would go and inspect it. Unfortunately he said that he wasn't and a few minutes later texted me and he said that he will drop to $700. Told him the same thing I told him earlier and still didn't wanna lower it anymore. Guess the search continues! 0-3 so far lol 

Thanks for the help again! 

JHCC is right and that guy may just have that anvil for sale a few more weeks thinking about you with cash in hand and how he really wants it out of his way.  You moved him down $300, so think of it this way.......you are learning haggling experience in the 0-3 process.  I'm guessing the seller overpaid for it and was hoping to double his money on it.  The longer he thinks he might get stuck with the anvil the better your offer is looking. 

I've been there before and given in at shows before.  I once had a beautiful flint knife for sale with a scrimshawed bone handle and this guy kept coming back saying all he had was $80.  He really loved the knife and admired it but was well under what I was asking.  I ended up letting him have it for the $80 because of his persistence, but more importantly because I saw just how much he loved it.  I made that knife, but he loved it.  As the maker, that meant something to me.  We became good friends after that and he used to travel an hour after working all day as a farrier to attend my monthly flintknapping gatherings at my shop.  He passed away this spring, and is missed a lot.  I guess my point is that sometimes a seller isn't all about the money so keep that in mind when shopping for an anvil.  

MC Hammer I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I can see how having someone wanting something you made have a positive affect on the person who made the object.  I know it's not all about the money in some situations and I'll keep that in mind.  Thank you for sharing and the advice.