I Forge Iron

Dream/Fantasy shop

You guys should just let it grow until it gets 1 m long. ( yeah I'm talking about grass[wink]) then grab your scythe and reap it . . . and u get free animal feed. ..

If you don't have a scythe . .forge one. . I hear it;s a challenge. .and If you end up making a Grim Reaper type thing that can only be used as a weapon . .send it my way!:D

A scything is work, it can be soothing but it's still work.

If you don't like mowing buy some lambs, a couple per acre will keep it nicely cropped to about 3/4". Come next fall put them in the freezer.

Lamb. Mmmmmmm.

As for the fantasy shop, you guys can keep your lava it doesn't get hot enough to suit me besides being stinky.

My waterfall will power a proper turbine generator and I'll use an induction forge for near instant, precision heat.

I also like good light, power tools, music, cold beer and a little boob toob in the evenings. Electricity is GOOD.

Frosty

Don't get too excited Johannes, it is an expression for television. My grandfather used it alot. A "Boob" is a fool or a silly person. He (my grandfather) felt that TV was a poor use of time. As for the rest of ya, don't jump on me about knocking TV!!!! It were not me, it was me ganddad!!!.

Mythical shop hmmhmmm?

20000 sqr feet limestone block building, well lit with many windows that never get dirty, overhead 30 ton crane, bottomless coal bunker, nice solid anvil, endless supply of material, fridge filled with icy water for work, icy brew for after. Radio tuned to a channel with no 1980's music and no advertisements. Oh yeah, due to an quirk in the Earth's magnetic field under my shop, it would be impossible to lose ANYTHING in the shop.

..."boob toob"... ya say what now?!:confused:

TV.

Won't need air conditioning working in a cave, especially with a waterfall nearby.

I've been rethinking the waterfall. I think it should be in the cavern falling at least 70' into a vertical shaft. A tunnel just above the shaft's waterline and it'll provide all the air a person could need, even for a decent sized commercial cupola melter.

Frosty

He (my grandfather) felt that TV was a poor use of time. As for the rest of ya, don't jump on me about knocking TV!!!! It were not me, it was me ganddad!!!.

I for one won't, I don't own a tv, and I dont want one, they are a waste of time , space, and energy!

There are thousands of hours of instructional video/dvds available but you need a TV to watch.

Nymphs turn into mosquitoes around here, I'll send you a bunch if you'd like Mende.

Frosty (from the land where you don't need air conditioning unless it hits searingly inhuman temps over 70f!)

I guess I'm strange, I just want a shop big enough to work in, heated in winter, wired for all my electric needs, and secure. A nice forging station for my daughter to work in as she gets older (at 3 she's already hitting cold steel on her anvil, trying to be like her old man!). And an intercom to the house so my wife quits sneaking up on me and scaring the gray hairs outta my scalp into my normally brown hair.

(On a lighter note, I can't believe this thread is still going and hasn't been shut down. The thread a while back about a certain celebrity martial artist got shut down before it made 2 pages! But this one keeps going like the energizer bunny.)

Yeah my dream shop would be my welding and blacksmithing shops combined. and to have some extra room. Be VERY weather proof , and have a wood stove for the winter and some air conditioning for the summer.
(yeah its lasted longer than I figured to kk) (but nock on wood ) LOL
Thanks , Chris

pc plays dvd's just fine... video.. wasn't that just an old myth like dragons, atlanthis and turning lead into gold :D

Yes Johannes it's true they did exist, I remember them but I'm older than remotes. :o

Frosty

my dream shop would have an anvil with a horn as opposed to my current railroad track on a stump. a bigger forge than my car wheel on a stool frame, and as long as we are speaking in terms of fantasy ; iron maiden would live there and always be playing a pump up song just slightly louder than the sound of a grinder or hammer blows, and a dwarven smith would live in a closet and always have helpful advice for novices such as myself... oh, and there would be a lemonade spring where a bluebird sings, a lake of stew, and whiskey too...oh wait, that was something else.

For the new guy- First thing that came to mind was airconditioning and then 5 months from now, heat. As I look at my little start in this grand experiment, I realize--- I have a really good, brand new anvil for which I paid about a third of its retail value- My purchased propane forge lit easily the first time, adjusted perfectly and the ITC 100 did not flake off.--- The same fellow who found me the anvil gave me about 40 pounds of Starrett O1 in various sizes.-- I have a decent selection of hardy tools to learn with- well made and sold to me at a very fair price. I have two RR anvils that are actually worth having, bought from ebay and exactly as described and safely shipped.--- I found a place to get answers to any questions I have without being insulted for my ignorance.[yes, that means you bunch of crazies]. I never sold my torch welding stuff and neither ex-wife tried to take it( actually I am good friends with my real ex-wife, mother of my daughter -who has forgiven me; my daughter has as well- by the way, for many years one or both of them came out to the garage to be my 3rd and 4th hands, looking away as I hit the foot-feed on the tig). By the weekend, assuming I get my rolling anvil stand built and filled with sand I might get to slam some of that O1. So, assuming I can sell the vintage S Class MB that is taking up shop room in the garage( I was second owner and did not nor would not pay that kind of money for a car that could not handle at 135-150 mph on Iowa clay) all I really need is that AC and a good woodburner stove. Need 30 kinds of tongs, more hammers( is it forgivable that I ordered a Blue Hofi Style 2.4 pound hammer today?)--- I would ask for a new uncrushed spine and at least a good rotator cuff repair on my southpaw shoulder but that would be greedy. Finally, it will be a dream if I can keep making friends at the pell mell pace I am experiencing- fact is, that would be the best dream shop team. Thanks to all of you- maybe sometime in the future a new person will feel good that I welcomed him and answered a "newbie" question with condescending.jet aka racer3j, aka Mike[on the Mike thing if I tell you I have to ki__ you etc.]