I Forge Iron

Dream/Fantasy shop

What would it be like?. . Sam said he'd go for the Hephasteus volcano type one. . Frosty wants to somehow have waterfalls coal seams and scrapyards in the same place. ..etc.

I for one would also go for the huge cave inside the molten core of a volcano. .with the forge consisting of a heat resistant tube heated by a lava stream, carbon steel anvil in an obsidian setting, diamond hammers, ogre slave strikers, goblin engravers and chained politician polishers . .that use wet grinding stones and wet em with their tears.
Of course the weather outside would be extremely cold to provide me with a glacier to quench my werk in . .
Oh course we shan't forget the nymphs that live only 2 give you massages after a hard day at the lava stream ( forge) . ..among other things ..
Plus some children to test the weapons on ..:D (optional - . .we could bring in more politicians or members of whatever group/race/ethnicity you secretly/openly hate).

Well we are talking about a blacksmith's shop ...and unorthodox one indeed but it's still blacksmithing . .and about the North thing . .I don;t follow ..

Burning people you don't like for fuel or using them as quenchants for blades doesn't really sound like you're one of the good guys. That's the sort of thing the evil ones do.

Has nothing to do with smithing, no matter what name you hang in the subject line.

Frosty

he has gone over to the dark side... but what did you expect... :P

just kidding Mende,

My fantasy shop would be in a gigantic cave with a river streming true, or perhaps a source. It would have ore in every stone, and also a litle lava shaft, with i can controll with tone valves (witch ar powerd with a watter mill on the river. I wouldnt need bellows cause there be shafts trueout the mountan, taht come together in the smithy, to geive me a controllebal yet powerfull air blast, I'd have a pile of mystic meteorites lying around for magical steel, in the entrance of the cave the would be a terrase where a couple of reformed sucubus and some nimf give me cool drinks and massages. I'd ride to work on a unichorn everyday and on a lower level of the mountain cave there would be living a dragon who'd give me wise advise and a drop of his blood when i need to forge extra powerfull weapons.I'd only work for kings , and i would be famous for my crusade against evil Romainian child slaying smiths :-D, oh yeah and my anvil would made of wood engraved with magical runes to make it harder than steel and more fire resistant than vulcanic rock, and my hammers would be made out of water, molded with my own chacra to a steel hard mass when i work with them... (why not trow some jappanese fantasy in there to :-) )so i would not have anny fysical hammer in the shop exept for one magical sledge donated to me by thor himself out of grathitude for helping him out taming some berserg valcurys... let me see.. mnn oh yeah and I'd have a miniature Glenn apearing on my shoulder now and then as my morral conscience :-D

Edited by Johannes

Dragons, caves and waterfalls aside, right now I'd settle for a roof over my head, a better floor than badly supported concrete, a half-decent anvil stand, a mount for my vice and somewhere neighbours don't care about smoke or noise.

It wouldn't be a lot different from what I have got really. Boring I know but true.

I would have somebody to clear up after me and probably a medium size power hammer.

A steel yard closer than the present one. (Yes I have to go 1 mile to buy steel at present).

Oxy acetylene bottles that are always full would be nice.

Maybe a huge anvil.

Dragons, caves and waterfalls aside, right now I'd settle for a roof over my head, a better floor than badly supported concrete, a half-decent anvil stand, a mount for my vice and somewhere neighbours don't care about smoke or noise.

I could ask about the 15 acres next door to us. You'd have to clear and build but your neighbors wouldn't care about the noise, me on the north side nobody on the other side.

Steel, welding supplies, etc. are about 8 miles and coal is you mine it and about 30 miles.

Frosty

It would be big enough for an over head electic rail type crane, with plenty of room for a fork truck to move stock from the full length stock racks. For fuel 1 500# propane tank and a coal bunker big enough to hold 20 yrds. Maybe 3 phase power and 2 sizes of power hammers. Heck who am I kidding, My dream shop would just have to have more paying customers:D Oh did I say a hot tub.:o

without sounding dull ,i am happy with the shop i have ,the only drawback is over the years it gets clutterd and it is a wrench to clear it out ,tho when i have been ruthless and sent truck loads of tools to the scrapyard, the shop again is a joy to work in .So utopia is a minimalist shop.

I hear you guys on the TIME thing ... i built my shop one year ago and lit the forge 4 times .. . school . ..and exams .. .

Speaking of which . .did I brag about getting in to all the 5 English Universities I applied for? ( I would have preferred America. . but the prices r huge there. ..for england one can get grants from the EU)
I'm going 2 Manchester Metropolitan 2 study Advertising and Brand Management so in like 3-4 years time . ..If any of you will be needing help managing your .. brands. ..gimme a call!

Congratulations Mende.

I don't know how much call there is for Brand management though, it's really simple.

1, Don't use someone else's brand or put your's on someone else's cattle you could get hung for rustling.

2, Don't touch the HOT end!

3, have a rack or shelf that'll keep them handy but out of the way when not in use.

That's how we did it. ;)

Frosty

I could ask about the 15 acres next door to us. You'd have to clear and build but your neighbors wouldn't care about the noise, me on the north side nobody on the other side.

Steel, welding supplies, etc. are about 8 miles and coal is you mine it and about 30 miles.

Frosty

Don't tempt me Frosty; that would probably cost a similar amount to a 2-bed flat over here; property prices are through the roof (along with petrol/gas and diesel). Don't you just love imcompetent and greedy politicians?

I don't know what it'd cost today but we built a 2,200sq/ft, 2 story on a basement house on 30 acres for about $200,000. We sold 15 acres (the ones I'm hoping a smithing buddy buys and builds on) a couple years ago for a nice profit.

Our last appraisal didn't take into account the 30'x40' shop I'm building and it was just shy of half a mil. three years ago.

You really aught to consider it, I'll help. :)

Frosty