I Forge Iron

Hay Budden anvil pricing

I was left this 165lb Hay Budden anvil with a homemade stake. I’m looking to sell it, but I know nothing about anvils. It clearly had some wear to the top (looks like a welded on plate) and a depression in the horn. I’m located on the New York border. Would it be worth a restore to sell? Or should it be sold as-is?

Any help would be appreciated! 

B98A0A4B-A808-42E8-87BA-361BF2437CDC.jpeg

E4A3F3A5-E647-4C16-9ED5-D2452726C00A.jpeg

201EF563-A0C2-48EA-A00C-74506CCE7AA6.jpeg

9F96569C-D84A-4F0C-9830-8C72DE42FFB8.jpeg

So are you in Canada or the USA?  Unfortunately that anvil has massive damage to the face with large parts of the hardened plate that is the working part of an anvil missing. It's a tricky and expensive repair to make often costing more than an anvil in better shape would cost.  If you are a skilled welder and have access to the proper rods and tools to do the job CORRECTLY, (search on: Robb Gunther and Karl Schuler Anvil Restoration for the gold standard method); then it will bring more repaired.

However repaired anvils often go cheap as it's hard for the buyer to know if it was done RIGHT and so the price reflects that.

As is; I would not pay over US$100 for it; (for the horn and hardy hole); but would advise a no anvil newbie to go perhaps US$1 a pound. In undamaged condition it would be $3 and up a pound here in the states.

43 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

No use to quote what we just read.

Thanks for the reply, Thomas. I have welders in my family, though none that specialize in anvil repair, so I’d have to see what they think.

I’m in Canada, but it’s actually a shorter and more profitable trip for me to sell it in the US if I deliver. 

OK; New York State also has borders with other states in the USA so it was a bit ambiguous.   Run the Anvil Restoration method past the welders and don't forget to factor in the cost of the preheat and abrasives. 

I was lucky enough to take my damaged anvils to an anvil repair day hosted by an ABANA affiliate and so had to pay only for the consumables---very lucky as it was a 400# anvil.  A much smaller anvil that had face milled too thin to use took 5 hours of work by a highly trained welder, (He teaches it at a local college), using industrial rated equipment.  That can become a very nice usable anvil; but the work and consumables will cost.

165 is a good standard size for a shop anvil and several famous smiths used that size their entire career.  What does the top of the stake look like?  Ball stakes have a fairly good market with SCA armourers.