I Forge Iron

260# Fisher Saw Tuners Anvil

Hey Fellas

Long time lurker but first time Posting. Hoping that NJ Anvil Man will chime in. I've always been a picker and an Antiques guy. Tools & Iron have always been my love and I've owned many anvils through the years. 

Looking to see what the more seasoned veterans think of my most recent find. 

A marked Fisher Saw Tuners anvil in amazing condition, weighing in at a marked 260#. Thanks for any info. 

DSC_1363.JPG

DSC_1364.JPG

DSC_1366.JPG

DSC_1375.JPG

Good morning.   Nice looking Fisher Saw anvil.  Made in Trenton, NJ.  There might be a date cast in.  Also there might be a factory weight stamped in.  The faces on these get very hard and brittle if they were used to tune blades.  

Just clean it up and oil it.

Any other questions about Fisher or your anvil?

Good morning njanvilman

I'll attach a few more pictures. The weight stamp looks like 250 in the pictures but is clearly 260 in person. The date is a little harder to read but appears to be 1909. Would this have been a specialty weight made or did they make several in this size? Also I haven't seen many saw tuners of this size sell and would be interested to hear what you think the value is. Would $5 # be a good starting point. Please keep in mind I am a dealer and at some point this will be for sale, but the $ isn't all it is for me. I am very passionate about these pieces and love the history. 

Also is it necessary to clean it, or can I leave that for the next person if they wish? In antiques I never like to alter the state in which I found the piece. But I also wouldn't want to be neglecting the anvil either. 

Thanks for the knowledge!

DSC_1365.JPG

DSC_1367.JPG

DSC_1374.JPG

Good morning AA

I would only do a cleaning with a mild detergent and water rinse to get any dirt off.  Then leave it.  Nothing more is required.  Leave the original patina.  A light oil spray on the top would prevent further rusting.

This is a standard size Fisher sawmakers.  They made about 50 different shapes and weights, from around 30 lb to 650 lb.  Everyone seemed to want something exactly to specs, and Fisher was very accommodating.  If they did not have a pattern for what the size the customer wanted, they would make one. 

I would possibly be interested in this piece down the road.  Please check out my "Fisher & Norris Factory Museum" on Facebook or just Google it for more info.  I too am very passionate about Fisher anvils and now have the largest collection.  Soon to have a book on the company done.

I have attached a photo of the bronze stamp that was used to put the logo into the mold on the anvil.  This is probably one of the most unique pieces in the Museum.  

If you are ever down in NJ, contact me for visit.IMG_20170727_091145418.thumb.jpg.11f6befacfcfa16bc54ae3ef7eb4796b.jpg

• 1 month later...