I Forge Iron

Re forging blade after grinding? Should I?

Only things I can add is depending on how thin you have shaped the knifes edge be careful so you don't over heat it cause the thinner parts will heat up much quicker then the spine of the knife, also since you are going to heat treat it again if the edge is really thin it can crack much more easy depending on how far you got with the grinding.

To help keep it from scaling up or decarburizing I would heat it in a piece of pipe stuck in the forge with one end closed off and powdered real chunk charcoal on the bottom of the inside of the pipe. Don't let it touch the sides of the pipe, Let it heat up by radiation.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, ThomasPowers said:

...heat it in a piece of pipe stuck in the forge with one end closed off and powdered real chunk charcoal on the bottom of the inside of the pipe...

I did this exact thing for the heat treatment of my first straight razor. Worked perfectly. Almost zero scale. 

4BD6DE55-4707-4A4C-9359-C6BC9591FD07.jpeg

I have discovered that three normalizing cycles after forging will take care of most warping problems even when dealing with thin cross sections and fast quenches. It takes a little extra time but not as much time as starting a project over from scratch if you brake a piece while trying to straighten a warp. Once the warp is there you roll the dice and take your chances. I have removed warps by placing the work between to pieces of smooth milled hardwood and letting it rest in the vise for half an hour before tempering. Someone may know if it's better to temper before trying to remove a warp but I wont move on to the temper unless any warping can be handled first, even if it means starting over. Best to avoid all together but sometimes it just happens!

• 1 year later...