I Forge Iron

Where to get coal?

This feels like such a beginner question that should have been asked and answered on here hundreds of times, but after around half an hour of searching I have yet to find any post on where to get coal. Apologies if this has been answered, but I just can;t seem to find anything that answers my question: What is the best place to get coal? I'm upgrading from a charcoal forge, so I need to get some real blacksmith's coal. It seems like Blacksmith's Depot has the cheapest, but the cost of shipping is twice that of the coal I'm buying, so I don;t think I can get it from there. Centaur forge and Amazon have pretty similiar prices, but amazon probably ships faster. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy coal? There are no places to buy very close to me, so I believe it has to be online. Blacksmith Depot seems to be used the most, so I wonder if I'm missing something looking at their shipping prices? Thanks for any and all help.

See if you have a blacksmith organization near you. They usually have coal sources and often sell to members. You might have to drive a distance, but that shouldn't detract you. Our members often drive as far as a couple of hours to a meeting and sometimes three hours to a coal mine if they wish to buy directly from it.

To find a local source: first ask the locals!  Asking here you are asking folks in Australia and Finland and South Africa and....

Several smiths in the Las Vegas area have posted here.  I'd ask them where they are getting their coal FIRST.  And remember Online does NOT necessarily mean best source.  I know folks who get their coal through a local feed store or Farriers' supply.

Note it's also quite likely that the best blacksmithing fuel source in your area is propane....

Morwood fuel in St George sells coal. Last I checked it was $130 a ton.

I pass by the Reid Gardner power plant every day and I am looking to swing by and see if they have any coal left. The power plant is being torn down. ....... They just spent millions on bag houses and scrubbers to make it the second cleanest coal fired  plant in the country, and it is all getting scrapped. I wondered why not convert it to natural gas and found out yesterday that gas pipelines are already on site and used to get the boilers started along with the turbines. This is all just a big political stunt.

My other reason to swing by is to see if I can score a metal staircase to go to my basement.

Instead of coal look at using charcoal. Free wood is abundant, and it does not stink like coal does when burning. plus no yellow green smoke when getting started. Much better for the urban environment, and works just as well.

Steven, as I have said before, if you have any questions just ask. I am not that far from you , and have a wealth of knowledge for scrounging supplies.

• 4 weeks later...

I would second the feed store and farrier supply, also some hearing companies or fire wood suppliers have coal though it's warm enough where you are that may be a long shot. You could talk with another Smith in the area and if they have to travel to get there's all of they will pick some up for you as well and throw in an extra $10 for them to grab lunch on there trip. St George is closer but if you ever head north the twin falls Idaho area still has a supplier or two left.

A trip to StG for coal could be added to a trip to Zion national park, Snow Canyon, Kayenta, etc.. Depending on how things go I may be headed up that way and could add some onto my purchase. But I would strongly suggest using charcoal in an urban environment. I am out in DaBoonies so some coal smoke doesn't bother anyone.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Morwood fuel in St George sells coal. Last I checked it was $130 a ton

Tell me more about this St George coal. Is it met coal? Clean? Good coke?

I live in the opposite direction, more or less. I'm. East of 4 Corners, az between cortez and durango colorado.

A knifemaker in town got his last coal from Wellington Utah. Its better than our local Hesperus coal.

Lol, a days drive for good coal has always been worth the by the ton price for me.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...