I Forge Iron

Getiing rid of the Dragons Breath

Ranchmanben

I got this idea from a friend who had gone to a damascus making clinic at Jim Poor’s shop. Putting a fairly strong fan below your forge and blowing the dragons breath upwards. My set up still need a bit of work to optimize performance but this has been a game changer. This might be a well known trick and covered here many times but it’s new to me and thought others might benefit as well. 

FAD184C2-A3EE-478A-927D-AC94B90F4759.thumb.jpeg.1004bfa00a5a41a2c01181e83c66561f.jpeg

I can run my hand within 5 or 6 inches of the port in the door with the fan going. With the door open it’s not quite as good but I no longer have to wear a glove on my tong hand to get material out.

Thomas, my forge has very little risk of that but but I’m curious of why that would be so detrimental. 

Ranchmanben, good tip.

I’m guessing TP’s thought is the exhaust could reduce available oxygen feeding your burners, changing the fuel/air ratio and thus flame characteristics. Your forge good run rich and create more carbon monoxide, etc. BUT I am guessing and don’t intend to speak for him..

When you run air through a burner, N2 + O2, most if not all of the Oxygen is used making either CO or CO2.  If you run a mixture of air and exhaust through a burner you have less O2 in the mix and so get more CO produced (plus the CO already in the mix).  CO is a sneaky cumulative toxin.  I've know a number of folks who have had close shaves with it and you read about deaths every winter from it.    As I've done some bladesmithing and pattern welding I often de-tune my burners to run rich and so knowingly produce more CO and KNOWINGLY deal with it: 10' walls, open gables and two 10'x10' roll up doors on opposite walls along the prevailing wind direction that I don't close until the wind is strong enough to start blowing over anvils....

Experienced smiths know the danger; but we get a LOT of new folks here who do not and so we tend to over emphasize safety aspects. (I bought a house once from the widow of a fellow who did something stupid he knew better than to do; I don't need any smithing equipment from an estate sale where the smith was not "rich in years and ready!")

Is the Vent-A-Fume hood related to Vent-A-Kiln hoods? I've seen those used over pottery kilns. They use a counterweight and pulley to help raise and lower the hood. I also ran across a slightly different approach to raising and lowering a hood in an old Buffalo Forge catalog. It also uses a pulley-and-counterweight system, but with a ring-shaped counterweight around the flue.

https://archive.org/stream/BuffaloForgeCoCatalogNo801/Buffalo Forge Co Catalog No 801#page/n17

Al (Steamboat)

There’s been a tiny bit of discussion here about the owners of the ranch not wanting me to cut holes in their barn to vent my coke forge. That ventafume might be a solution. Not that particular model but one of the other 10” models. How loud are they?