I Forge Iron

Holland Anvil Swage Block 1

foundryguy

My son drew this pattern up and cut the tool last week. Pretty happy with what he came up with. These are ductile iron and 50 lbs. We are thinking about pouring a few out of H13 tool steel and hardening them up like the anvils. A big block with round and square holes is in the works. Cheers

swage2.jpg

swage3.jpg

swage1.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a really nice clean casting, big enough to do some real work, small enough to move around for hobby smiths or guys that need to travel with it for demos.

thanks again for taking on these projects and offering ‘smiths another source of quality, American made tools. 

I hope that your entrepreneurial endeavors not only satisfy your need to be creative but also reward you financially.

Steve

Nice casting. I'm not sure about the 90* swages, maybe for doing canister damascus welds? I use one angle of a hex swage 120* to profile slitters more often than I need a 90. I'd vote for the side of or at east one of the more acute V swages for setting anvil devils, hardies, etc. and one 120* swage to profile Brian Brazeal slitters. 

I don't think a H-13 swage block is worth the material $ difference, they just don't get the kind of hammering an anvil gets. Mine is ductile iron and been around a least 65 years and it was a journeyman project for a Railroad foundry man back in the Alaska Road Commission days rather coming out of a foundry that makes such things. The Railroad gave the blocks to the Road Commission highway maint. shops and mine was going to the scrapper if I didn't take it.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:32 PM, stevomiller said:

That is a really nice clean casting, big enough to do some real work, small enough to move around for hobby smiths or guys that need to travel with it for demos. thanks again for taking on these projects and offering ‘smiths another source of quality, American made tools. 

We had several people request this design and weight. Affordability was our main goal, simple and quick you might say. Thanks for the support. 

Frosty I like your idea.

Replace the one edge with the French curl cut out with another angle of “V” , having all three angles AND the semi-circles that are there would be useful.

Agree ductile iron is plenty good.

You are welcome sir!

What is the thickness on this block?

actually, we may modify that side and put several half hexes. The block is 3 inches thick. My son is drawing up a big block this week. On the H13, several folks have made requests for it so it might be a luxury item we could make for a couple folks that want it. 

Foundryguy,

NVM about thickness, I just saw it on your “Holland Anvils” Facebook page, 3” thick. And the shipped price is quite good for a 50lb block.

Whoops, thanks for the answer we posted at the same time.

And you are right about the H13, if folks want it and will pay for it, make it! 

Craziest question ever:

Ever considered if this anvil venture goes well, try a ductile (or mild steel) bodied anvil with a heavy H13 face?

A modern Fisher so to speak? If the numbers sold aren’t there it wouldn’t warrant the investment in time to get it right, but it might allow two things: slightly lower price and quieter anvil.

And like I said, crazy thought, but I am crazy so it comes easy.

Gorgeous casting, and I love how you got it so clean.  Everyone I've see from other suppliers has a parting line right down the middle of the block that needs grinding away.  No idea how you pulled it off, but it's impressive!  It's on my list.

Are you going to start offering cones as well?  Might as well go for the Trifecta, right?

Steve's notion of trying to copy the Fisher technique of casting a steel face plate onto a cast iron body is awesome.  I don't know if that's legally possible since the rights are owned by someone else, I'm sure.  Still, it'd be neat to try and figure out how it's done.  I know I'd certainly want one in my shop, and I already have an awesome Fisher.

The big trick with getting a HC face plate to weld to the cast iron in the mold. Fisher used a 2 cavity mold to preheat the face before casting the body. Maybe NJanvilman will fill you in.

We have an annual iron pour here and I've been tempted to try my hand at it but I don't want to spend all that time busting up castings to feed the cupola. I could mow lawns and buy another anvil for less work you know. B)

I'd be tempted though IF I had an induction heater, forge, wand, whatever, that would bring the face plate to say high orange before we poured. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Didn't he mention lost foam?  No parting line needed and they cast car engine blocks using it so you can get very nice casting indeed with it.

I'm sure the patent for the Fisher process has been open for 100 years or so.  The issue will be how much of it was really a trade secret.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 9:40 PM, Farmall said:

Do you have anything other than a Facebook page?  I don’t use any social media at all and I would like to see what you have and the pricing.  Thanks.

Sir,  I understand not having a website is an issue. I run a pattern shop and foundry and anvils and blocks are a very small part of what we do everyday.  Having a page on facebook is free and simple to use. We are thinking of doing a website but we are often out of anvils and freight is a huge issue, every locations is a different freight rate. If you have any questions on products please contact me PM here and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Our next block is drawn up and we just need to cut the pattern. No plans on cutting a pattern on a shovel but who knows?

How about the web site you really don't have or want to do? People can look up your product that others are trying to make the big bucks on an see how fairly priced they are new and from you, then they know the price on fleabay is inflated?! I like to look up what I'm buying an do a comparison of prices for new or used. Hope that makes sense