I Forge Iron

Back yard, causal forge that can melt iron

Resaramp

Alright im new to forges ive only bult one, it was a solid fuel forge made from plaster and sand, to say the least it was cool and fun but i want more power. I want to create a propane furnace that can either be slightly mobile or permanent in my back yard. I have a cement platform and the space to do it and my budget its around 300$. From what ive read the best way to do it is with a combination of kalewool or some insalating fiber and refractory cement, my question is can you guys post pictures of your forges and or give me a run down on how you did yours. My trouble is shaping the outside and inners because you have to line the wool with the cement, also how effectives firebrick in terms of durability and insulation

Welcome to IFI. After you finish reading the thread Steve linked you to, edit your profile to show where in the world you are. Then get a large bowl of popcorn and a cold adult beverage, go to the sticky Forges 101. You will find those questions have been asked and answered multiple times. You will also find answers that you haven't asked yet plus enough pictures to fill several albums (around page 19 you will find a link to our forge build start to finish).

I don't know what to tell you other than stop watching Youtube and do some serious reading. Nothing you've said shows enough knowledge to do more than read.

I wish I could help you I just don't think I can.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't worry, this isn't really that hard if you slow down and take it one step at a time. We'll help.

Start by skimming through the "Burners 101 and Forges 101" threads. Read the topic names open the topic and skim the post titles. No need to read them all, pick the ones that interest you. Take notes, include the name and author of the post so you can go back and read it again. A LOT of what you'll need to do is look up words and terms or nothing will make much sense. It'd be like going to France without knowing how to speak French.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now do you want a forge or a furnace?  The job of a forge is to NOT melt steel but to get it to a plastic state.  Melting steel is generally considered a boo-boo in a forge.  What is it that you want to accomplish?

Molten steel is much more dangerous than very hot solid steel and many people will be loath to help folks who don't seem to have the background to deal with it safely.  You have already hit a lot of the "DANGER WILL ROBINSON" meters fairly hard.  (Like plaster of paris starts degrading about 1000 degF below proper forging temps so building a forge lined with it was bogus from the start; so you have a track record of following info posted by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.  Also do you know what happens when molten steel drips on a concrete pad? If you are lucky it's only thousands of dollars in medical bills; unlucky, well we will talk about you sadly for years...)

So if you want to melt metal; may I commend to your attention alloyavenue.com  (used to be backyard metal casting.com) And if you want to melt cast iron look into a cupola furnace.

Lots of good info on building propane forges and burners here---bad info here gets squashed by folks with decades of experience doing things *right*.

Think of IFI as an interactive pier reviewed research document. With over 40k members from more than 150 countries it is likely we have an expert that can answers your questions (and not just blacksmithing). 

Hint, for your solid fuel forge ditch the POP for plain old clay rich soil. Clay vitrifies at forging temp of steel and is virtually free. 

I would suggest let’s fix you a solid fuel forge on the cheap so you can play with hot steel wile you learn about gas forges and build yourself a good one. 

As to Youtube, their is some good vidioes (we have members who post exelent vidioes) but more of it is reposting of stupid. If you have a question about a video, post a link and some one here will tell you what they got right and what they got wrong.