I Forge Iron

Safety Stickies for PPE

Personal Protection Equipment has about 1600 questions (threads) which is a manageable number to create and test a new sticky system to make the most important information available to the viewer. This would consist of a condensed version of the information for quick reference, as well as a link to the thread where the subject is discussed.

Currently there is one topic that is at the top of the subsection Safety glasses for forging with 330 posts. Let us distill down that information into a sticky.

--------------------------------------------

Safety Glasses.

The quick version could go something like Yes, safety glasses are recommended for forging and for use in the shop at all times. The base entry point is clear safety glasses that can cost only a few dollars per pair.  At the forge the safety glasses should protect the eyes from IR and UV and welders glasses also come in several shades with shade #2 and shade #3 being popular. They are designed to protect the eyes from the bright light. There are specialty lenses such as Dydidium which filters out certain wavelengths of light.

How important are Safety Glasses?  Shut both eyes and tell me what you see. Now shut only one eye and test your depth perception.  How long before you open both eyes again? 

For more information please visit the thread Safety glasses for forging

-----------------------------------------

We need folks to work up additional stickies for other PPE's such as aprons, gloves, respirators, and etc using the same format, a quick version followed by references. Post them here and I can then assemble them into a index or list. Not everything needs to be a sticky. Look for the posts that are very important or have a good discussion on the subject. As we get some experience on how this works, we can make adjustments and move to other subsections and sections.

Thank you for your help..

Good start Glenn!

There are a couple issues with your safety glasses write up. 

Safety glasses need side shields and full coverage glasses are preferred for "dirty" activities like power brushing, grinding, etc. that put a lot of junk in the air.

No forge produces UV!  People waste a lot of money buying UV protection safety glasses. Unless they're working around other people using arc welders UV protection is pointless. IR radiation is a hazard a #2 lens is plenty of protection. More can make judging temps difficult.

Didymium glasses are useless against forge temp IR radiation, they block the specific light frequencies in a sodium flare. The only common use is in the glass industry. If you have a pair you have to toss some salt in a hot forge to notice any glare shielding. Some borax based fluxes evidently contain sodium and there is a slight glare reduction for that brand. I have a pair bought probably 35 years ago and they're in my top box where I put them after trying them. The things are CRAZY expensive for no good at the forge, it takes a combination of rare earth elements and special processes to make them.

Prescription glasses are NOT safety glasses unless they're safety glasses FIRST and scripts second. I wear tight fitting poly carbonate, tri-focals  with side shields I pay extra for as my every daily prescription glasses. Even so I have full coverage goggles and full face shield I wear as the situation requires.

I'm just offering the above as information. Serious editing required. ;)

Jer

• 8 months later...