I Forge Iron

Quick Rail Anvil

One of my 4H students asked me the other day how hard it would be to make a RR anvil. Told him I didn't know because I had never made one. I had some time to burn yesterday so just out of curiosity I decided to make one with the stuff available in my resource pile.
Theres alot of ways to do one and I've seen alot at flea markets and a bunch of pictures. Here's my quickie version, 3 1/2 hours including stand. Forged a couple of leaves on it yesterday and it is quite functional. I'll take it to class next weekend to show him and his dad.

6460.attach

6461.attach

6462.attach

That is my favorite type of tool, one that is not to hard to make and the materails can be had for short or no money. When ever I talk to a soon to be blacksmiths they seem to think you need to throw a lot of money around to get started. To me it seems like you can get started in blacksmithing much cheaper then alot of other trades. Oh by the way it looked like an anvil any one would be proud to own.

Bonfires were hot enough for General Sherman's boys to make the famous bow ties.

When General Sherman cut loose of his supply line after the fall of Atlanta and continued the march to Savannah these same troops turned their abilities to the destruction of the railroads. The troops would pile up all of the ties from a stretch of track and place on top of these piles the rails taken from the same stretch of track. The pyre would then be set aflame and the rails would soon begin to glow red at the centers. The troops would then pick a rail up off the fire and take it to the nearest tree to bend the rail around the tree and, for added difficulty, twist the rail. They did all of this knowing the South had only one plant which could undo the destruction they had done to the rails.

If I was to attempt to heat treat an RR anvil with a bonfire, I would make a day of it at a site next to a fast moving stream to quench the rail anvil.

Hello,

I have a railway anvil too. I have just started blacksmithing, so I don't have a real anvil just this, but I think it's good enough...at least for me. Here are two pictures about it.

fbgfb.JPG
egewrf.JPG

Thanks,

from-the-track rails are already hardened and tempered. For train cars, the wheels are meant to wear on the track and not the other way around, because replacing the wheel on a car is cheaper than replacing a section of track. Most modern rails are ~1070 carbon steel and pretty hard faced.

New rail sections are not hardened plus a lot of people chose to grind the crown off old rail sections to level it. That work hardened steel is only on the surface so the newly created horn is not work hardened either.

Rail is induction hardened on the face unless it's changed in the last few years.

The hardness is only a few thousandths thick but work hardening keeps it a little ahead of wear.

Like I say though, my info is several years old and things change.

Do keep an eye out for rail marked with a "Y" or "V" as it contains Vanadium and doesn't like being worked hot very much. "Y" stands for Yard rail.

Line rail is low alloy, high carbon and about as high a quality steel as you're likely to scrounge.

Frosty

Bonfires were hot enough for General Sherman's boys to make the famous bow ties.

When General Sherman cut loose of his supply line after the fall of Atlanta and continued the march to Savannah these same troops turned their abilities to the destruction of the railroads. The troops would pile up all of the ties from a stretch of track and place on top of these piles the rails taken from the same stretch of track. The pyre would then be set aflame and the rails would soon begin to glow red at the centers. The troops would then pick a rail up off the fire and take it to the nearest tree to bend the rail around the tree and, for added difficulty, twist the rail. They did all of this knowing the South had only one plant which could undo the destruction they had done to the rails.

If I was to attempt to heat treat an RR anvil with a bonfire, I would make a day of it at a site next to a fast moving stream to quench the rail anvil.

I believe you used the wrong name. Around here its "that xxxxxxx Sherman".

Justin- the rails were in sections- held together at their junctions with tie plates. Spikes were driven into the wooden "rail" or "crossrail", "tie" or crosstie". So the "tie " part gets spread around . When used with "plate," it refers to rectangles of steel that bolt up to where the sections meet.jet