I Forge Iron

Dutch Forge??

racer3j

As an old retired racer, I sit here and watch Indy- my last years were in sprint cars- used to be the path to the 500. Anyway, has anyone built a coal/coke forge using a cast iron dutch oven? I found my old 15" one and started thinking. A floor flange for the hole in the bottom( that uses up one good holesaw), a 3 inch nipple down, a "T" on the nipple and a pipe going into the "T" from the side. All 1 1/4 inch. The bottom of the "T" with a plug for cleanout. A disc with holes with a 1" dia nipple stub welded to the disc to rotate in the floor flange and holes drilled in that rotating vent control. Will it work with a small blower going in the horizontal pipe?Too small for typical clinkers? Other negatives. I will have my gas forge next week but I am just brain storming on the coal/coke forge- the dutch oven has been inactive for about 15 years and it deserves better than a flower pot.jet

You could save trashing a nice hole saw by using a brake drum that already has a nice hole in it. They are found in a variety of width and depths too, you know, from puny little VW bug size to monster ones off a tractor trailer rig.

Edited by nett
yes

In fact, it is a complete quite nice flange lidded example. If I try to sell it, shipping would be more than item price. Thinking on it, the old guy has made many a fine venison stew and baked a pretty fair number of biscuits. I'll look for something that has not earned a peaceful semi-retirement.jet

Retire the dutch oven before you kill it please. You may never use it again but someone might as well get the chance.

Right now, ours is simmering a nice moose stew. I'm about ready to go make a batch of bisquits to go with and get down to some void filling.

It's been a pretty good couple days here in the great white north. Garage saling has yielded some good shop stuff and our last doe of the season delivered us a couple of beautiful healthy kids.

Pics later, stew first.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

Mmm...Moose stew. Had to rub it in, Eh Frosty. Sure wish I lived close to you, you'd have a guest for dinner!:D

And yes, I've ate moose before. Pretty tasty stuff. Just not any around here to hunt. It pays to know people that go up north on hunting trips.

Racer: Send me the dutch oven, I'll send ya a brake drum back!;)

Edited by keykeeper

For me, the only meat that just may surpass moose is elk. Though Iowa beef forced on corn for two to three weeks is a tough standard of comparison. You have succeeded in rescuing the DO. I have found less honorable 20" 2 1/2" deep CI pan for $29- I may abuse one of those.jet

Some cast iron cookware has become very very collectible. at auctions and antques shops:o. I also say old brake drums work great, I just got one for free from a school bus from the junk yard when I told the I was making a coal forge for a kid who wants to get into blacksmithing.:) 1 brake drum, 1- 4" schd 40 cast tee Y, 4"cast iron drain grate, old weber grill frame and a busted up shop vac. Every thing was free except for the tee Y and drain grate. You should have seen the kids face when we fired it up and when we were done I told him and his dad to load it up and take it home with a set of tongs we made and a modified ballpeen.