I Forge Iron

Anvil Identifaction Help

Hi Everyone. I've been reading IFI for a while and found so much great info on here I've never found the need to post. However I stumbled across an anvil for sale and Knew this would be the group to ask.  I know from the pics it's a JHM. According to the seller it's 'vintage' and weighs 100-120lbs. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. They're asking $300. What do you think?

IMG_1287.PNG

IMG_1286.PNG

Where is it located? Prices vary depending upon location in the world and different locations within the states. Seems to me there have been several threads about JHM anvils, $2.00-2.50 U.S. in my area wouldn't be unreasonable.

Have you read this thread yet?

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48833-read-this-first/

BTW... welcome

Yes, I've rad that thread. I haven't added anything to my profile yet as I noticed immediately that I accidentally posted this in the thread I was reading (anvil reviews) instead of in Anvils, Swage Blocks and Mandrels :-/ and have been trying to figure out how to change it. 

I'm in Las Vegas, NV, the anvil is in Arizona. 

Where in AZ? Kingman would not be that bad of a drive - 1.5 hours, but Phoenix is a 6 hour drive each way. JHM is still made today, and a company called Anvil Brand sells them. One of my anvils is a 125# JHM Journeyman and it is a nice anvil. $300 is high for me especially with the drive thrown in for an anvil that size. One standard sized forklift fork will give you a heavier anvil (150# or so).

That is their 90# model, and it sells for $561 new. Check their site for more details.

To me , 90# is too small for general work. I would suggest 150# as a more shop sized anvil. I got my JHM with a forge and tools from a retired farrier in Las Vegas a few years ago, and like I said it is a good anvil....but you can get started for a LOT less (under $100 and more weight).

Thank you guys for your input!

I went ahead and picked it up.

Turns out there was a little miscommunication and the anvil was actually in Henderson less than 10 miles away. (I've lived in Henderson for 3 yrs now and still habitually tell people I live in Vegas, sorry about that.) I've added my location to my profile so I don't have to worry about that particular slip of the tongue again.

It is a bit small but that's kind of a plus for me right now.

@Steven511 - I'll keep you in mind if I run across another decent anvil. 

Thanks again!