I Forge Iron

A topic I can safely say has never been covered here before.....

GREAT idea Hans! Make safety clothing with a gel layer. When something burns a hole in it the gel puts it out, the bigger the hole the more gel. A nice skin cream next to the skin and we have ourselves a marketable piece of PPE!

ooh OOH! How about a non-newtonian gel that hardens on impact to protect against getting hit by things?

I think we're really onto something here guys! :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I do so love a good typo, thank you. :) I used to let my head tan up but since having the shingles on my face sunlight feels like a burn.  Heck a dry day makes the left side of my face feel like a bad 1st. degree sunburn and a sunburn is . . . bad.

Sunscreen and aloe gel are my friends. I burn under my straw hat or folding cloth hat. Either isn't comfortable to wear but they beat a burn. 

So, there's the next layer of gel, a solar activated non-newtonian sunscreen hat. Maybe make that layer spray a mist when the sun hits it, the more sun the more it sprays. 

Someone in Japan, I believe, has already invented and markets charcoal, odor-eater underclothes. No ground floor market with that one. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

This post reminds me of a long day at work as an apprentice electrician.  We were upsizing the electrical service to a house with a basement.  The existing feeder cable was routed through the basement wall and into the panel.  We needed a larger hole through the cinderblock wall to allow the larger cable.  I dutifully measured twice both inside and out.  The cable came up out of the meter, through the wall, and then down into the panel.  I started hammer-drilling above the existing cable from the outside which was a muddy slope.  I got about two inches into the wall when a brilliant white spark leaped out of the hole and straight into my chest.   It hurt something awful but I kept my composure and pulled the drill out.  As I set the drill down, I noticed a spot on my shirt which turned out to be a hole.  I pulled my shirt up and found a little cup-shaped piece of copper colored metal burned into my chest.  I popped it out, thankfully it cauterized the wound, but I still have a scar from it.  Still wondering what happened when I noticed that two thirds of the carbide tip of the drill had burnt completely away! I figure I was struck by the brazing material.

It turned out that the original electrician had installed the cable in the meter, stuck it through the holes, then pushed the slack up into the web of the cinderblock to save the time in cutting it.  When I drilled through the wall, I clipped one of the main feeders for the house!  Until then, it had never occurred to me that someone would do such a thing.  

Thank goodness I was using a double-insulated drill!

And THAT'S why we calls em sparkies, Spanky! Smell like BBQ Rockstar?

I was working on a piece and it tipped over on me. I had no choice but to push it off. It was smoking hot and left the palms of my hands shiny and smoking lightly. They smelled like BBQ and one of the guys I worked with said to hold on he'd perform first aid. He got a bottle of BBQ sauce out the locker with one of the 1st. aid kits in it. Everybody had a laugh while he silvadined my hands and I was good as new the next day. Great stuff silvadine!

Frosty The Lucky.

rockstar: When I first read your reply in my email notices, I started composing a response about NOT having hair on the palms of my hands. Then I recalled your experience and it made sense.

Yeti fur knits into warm caps and sweaters but it's a little too itchy for socks and scarves. They shed out in spring and you can collect the fur from brush, same as musk ox. It needs really thorough washing though.

Frosty The Lucky.